10mm Fans!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gringo Loco

Psalms 37
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Good morning everyone,

For all the 10mm fans out there...

I have a Glock 40 (10mm) and wanting to pick up a Sig Sauer P220 Hunter (10mm). Looking at breaking it in and using it as a Hunting Side Arm and have fun with it on the range.

I have some questions:

What are some top ammo choices for the longer and shorter barrels for 10mm's?

Any special brands stick out more than other?

Which grain weight is better than the rest?

And, any other info you want to throw at me... Shoot away!

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    When I think of handgun hunting, one ammo manufacturer comes to mind...
    Buffalo Bore.

And I would think that some 220gr hard cast out that p220 would be badass!
    they also have 200gr, 180gr and so on.

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville
    I have a P220. It seems to like DoubleTap 200gr. hard cast, With Buffalo Bore 220gr second. YMMV
    edited to add: What I don't like is all the manufacturers loading the 10mm to S&W 40 speeds. what a waste

Last edited:

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville
    I freaking love it. It is heavy, solid and a good looking gun. Shooting hot loads is very mild recoil. Mild loads have no recoil and I find about a 2" low POI change. Excellent trigger, very crisp.
    Minus the mag capacity of 8, I think you will like it. If you don't, let me know and I will take it off your hands.

This is mine. I am very reluctant to put it in too much field use. I just haven't bought another one yet. this one is very similar to the hunter.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I freaking love it. It is heavy, solid and a good looking gun. Shooting hot loads is very mild recoil. Mild loads have no recoil and I find about a 2" low POI change. Excellent trigger, very crisp.
    Minus the mag capacity of 8, I think you will like it. If you don't, let me know and I will take it off your hands.

This is mine. I am very reluctant to put it in too much field use. I just haven't bought another one yet. this one is very similar to the hunter.

One must remember 8 rounds of 10mm is capeable of ending the war in the Middle East if properly used.

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    From my research the general consensus on the interweb is that Underwood has the hottest rounds. Buffalo Bore and Double tap supposedly dooes not chronograph at their listed velocities but Underwood does.

That being said I have a couple of boxes of underwood in different grains to try and have a chronograph if you wanna get together and see what velocities you can reach with those pistols.

I'm waiting just a tad longer to pick up a g40 in the hopes that they make one without the MOS plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sylvest

Come and Take It
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Denham Springs
    I live in the mountains in Colorado now and carry a G20SF with 230 great HCFN double tap for bears. Hard hitting round with Max penetration.

WildBillKelso

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2015
    Northshore/New Orleans
    Underwood all the way. They are consistent velocities, meeting or beating their advertised velocities as measured with the chrono. and are the right price. Double tap inflates their speeds and is far less consistent. Buffalo bore is on par in quality with Underwood but is beat in price.

Last edited:

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA

icetraxx

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Denham Springs
    I picked up a P220 10mm a couple of months ago. I've haven't shot taken it to the range just yet as I'm trying to locate a da/sa version. All all of my other sigs are da/sa but the da/sa version of the 10mm is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Top Bottom