WTB cheap varmint/plinking gun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tantrix

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Pineville, Louisiana
    I'm looking for something in 9x18 Makarov, .380, .22, .22 Mag or other small calibers. I prefer handgun, but can be rifle as well. I'm looking to keep the price low as possible as this isn't a major purchase I just need something I can shoot the hell out of but is potent enough to dispatch various pests around my property (coyote is largest thing, most are armadillos tearing up the wifes flower beds and she's getting pissed)

Let me know what el cheapos you got, I'm in Central LA.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    How close are your nearest neighbors? I know central can get kinda spread out, but I'd be wary discharging firearms if you have neighbors anywhere close... I'd advise a high powered pellet gun of some sort, should be low cost and dispatch armadillos and make coyotes not wanna come back for sure.

Public Service Announcements aside, I think one of the best low caliber guns would be a Ruger .22, not sure what model they are on now but the Mark II's are pretty accurate guns, and you cant argue with the price of .22 long rifle...I've seen optics, dot sights, etc on them, but even open sight they are very accurate.

Tantrix

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Pineville, Louisiana
    I'm out in the middle of nowhere...I'm in the Central LA but by no means in an urban area. I hate close neighbors. I also have a gun range set up in the back yard so it's nothing new to hear gunfire coming from my property. I was thinking about a Ruger 10/22, but a small caliber handgun like you mentioned would be easier to sneak around with outside at night when stalking one of those dillos...flashlight in one hand, gun in the other.

Anyways...let me know what you guys have.

hot shot

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville La
    The .17 HMR is a impressive round as well. Not sure if anyone makes it in a handgun. Also I think Sako or someone makes one for a reasonable price (cant remember who it is) as well as Marlin if Im not mistaken.

Tantrix

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Pineville, Louisiana
    Yeah, the 17HMR is wicked accurate out to 200+ yards. My brother has a Marlin bolt action with the bull barrel. They make a few nice revolvers in .17 but they are pricey. If I wanted to spend a little more that would be a strong contender.

hot shot

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville La
    Yeah, the 17HMR is wicked accurate out to 200+ yards. My brother has a Marlin bolt action with the bull barrel. They make a few nice revolvers in .17 but they are pricey. If I wanted to spend a little more that would be a strong contender.

I typed Sako, but ment Savage. I think they can be had for about $200 or so. A buddy of mine bought the Marlin with the stainless bull barrel and the laminated stock last year with a scope (I think it had the scope) for right at $400

hickman

hiding in the piney woods
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2006
    Alexandria, LA
    Will talk to a friend tomorrow, he may have something along the lines of what you are looking for as well. Thinking he has a P-22 walther for sale for $200, but he is also a dealer, so he can get pretty much anything you want, including the pistols on your list.

Tantrix

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Pineville, Louisiana
    Will talk to a friend tomorrow, he may have something along the lines of what you are looking for as well. Thinking he has a P-22 walther for sale for $200, but he is also a dealer, so he can get pretty much anything you want, including the pistols on your list.

Ok, let me know. I am in Alexandria all the time. I'm looking for some old used beater handgun or rifle...something someone doesn't even think is worth selling. It can be all scratched up or anything I don't care. This is strictly an outside in the yard or woods type gun.

I prefer something in .22 but it can be any caliber. I'm just looking for something ultra cheap so something like an old rusty revolver I can bring back to life would be fine.

Tantrix

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Pineville, Louisiana
    I lucked up. Seems my brother had a Heritage Rough Rider single action revolver in .22lr with an extra .22 Magnum cylinder. He took $75 for it with box, manual, everything.

It has a 6.5" barrel so I should get some decent velocity. He gave me about 75rds of .22 Mag and I snatched a 550rd box of .22lr from Wallyworld today. Most of the night I'll be in recon mode around the yard looking for the suspect responsible for destroying my wife's flowerbeds. Dillo huntin' time!

Tantrix

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Pineville, Louisiana
    Dillo #1 down at 12:15am. I saw 3 MORE in the area in addition to that one. Looks like I have a small army on my hands.

The .22lr worked perfectly out of the Rough Rider. Didn't need to use the magnum. 1 shot and the dillo hopped about 3 feet in the air then dropped like a rock. Upon closer inspection the round hit perfectly right in the back of the head. I am pretty happy overall, the gun did well considering I took the shot from about 10 feet away and as you all know armadillo heads are only about 2 inches wide.

Back to recon mode. Time to reclaim my damn yard. :curse:

Last edited:
    You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adgram1013
    Top Bottom