17hmr vs 22 mag wma hog hunting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bayouhunting

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    Opelousas
    Looking for opinions on using 17 hmr or 22 wsm for hogs. I know neither is ideal, but with our state regulations, hogs can only be taken on wmas with rimfire or shotgun (no slugs or buckshot or centerfire rifles)except during open deer season.

I know plenty of guys have great success with both by taking good head shots. Just wondering which would be best. Distance would most likely be max of about 75yrds.

Looking for a new challenge and some good meat when I'm not deer hunting

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I crushed a coyote at 80 yards with a .22 mag Remington 33gr accu-tip.
    It was sitting and facing away bullet hit at the base of skull and center of the neck.
    Now that is the closest experience I have to offer but I personally would not hunt hogs with either choice.
    Best of luck and try to kill all of em!

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    If you are going to shoot them right in the ear, I would probably prefer the .17 HMR as they are generally more accurate (as long as the wind isn't blowing). No doubt the .22 WMR will give you better penetration.

Either will work fine, just depends on how you want to do it.

Bayouhunting

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    Opelousas
    Wish I could use something with a little more behind it. All the private land I have access to has no hogs. I guess that's a good thing. I'll have to settle for a rimfire on the WMAs
    That's the plan doc. Hopefully I can get one more deer around Thanksgiving then set me up a rimfire for Sherburne or Kisatchie

Last edited:

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    have a battle axe at the ready for when you have a pissed off pig. if i remember correctly someone go nail by a pissed off boar

Dr Elliot

Breeder of Deer Dogs
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Metairie
    I suggest you carry a rifle of either caliber that holds lots of ammo. Also carry a legal sidearm. Scoped rifles are practically useless in close quarters during an attack. Don't go alone and make sure someone knows where you are.

I have heard several stories of hog attacks. They will attack after being injured, when you get between a sow and her piglets, or you just encroach on their territory. I experienced this first hand with a pig that I shot with a 308. I was on a deer hunt in Texas and the rancher told us to shoot any pigs we saw. I took a shot that I normally would have passed. The pig was moving, at some distance away, in the dark. I knew I had hit it, because it rolled at the shot before it ran off. When I approached the downed pig, it suddenly "came back to life" and charged. Fortunately, I left my scoped rifle at the deer stand. I had my 44 magnum revolver in my right hand and flashlight in my left. It took two shots to stop the charge and another shot to finally dispatch the pig. Remember that this is a dangerous animal. Even if you mortally wound it, it can do a lot of damage before it dies. You have to STOP it.

There's a good account of an attack last winter in the Pearl River WNMA on the Louisiana Sportsman site. Here's the link: http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=6200 Ironically, a good friend of this attacked hunter had just told me a week earlier that I was full of sh.. --sorry-- mis-informed that pigs will attack.

Here's the link to another Louisiana Sportsman article with a video compilation: http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=6862

Last edited:
    Top Bottom