HB27 House debate tomorrow

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AfterShock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Just another update on HB27, since it's being debated tomorrow I sent the following message to my representative. I know a few of my statements referencing law could be nit picked, but I want to get the point across, not focus on extraneous info. If you can find a moment to do so, I would encourage you to call or write your representative and express your support for HB27. The more we can stifle all the propaganda from the anti's, the better.

Representative Foil,

I am one of your constituents and want to express my support for HB27 by Rep. Wooten, which will be discussed in the House on Thursday, May 28.

I received my BS from LSU in 2002 and have worked full time as an LSU employee since 2003. I am currently enrolled part time in the Masters program at LSU for Public Administration.

There are a lot of misconceptions being circulated about this bill that I want to clarify, because as I watched the debates in committee, the opponents of the bill often sidetracked the discussion with irrelevant points and tried to attach false outcomes to its implementation. So I will list out a few things that describe what this bill is, and what it isn't.
    • The purpose of this bill is to eliminate the prohibition that bans people with concealed carry permits from carrying their concealed weapons at public universities.

• The purpose of the bill is to allow citizens who live within 1000 feet of a school to carry their concealed weapon on their own property to defend themselves.

• The purpose of this bill is not to arm students. 21 year old students have been able to buy handguns and apply for concealed carry permits since 1996. Those who have done so are already carrying their concealed weapons to the malls, grocery stores, parks, and movie theaters. Schools should not be excluded from the places they can defend themselves.

• The alcohol argument is an attempt at misdirection. Opponents argue that we shouldn’t be putting guns into an environment with such a high consumption of alcohol. Alcohol is not a problem in our classrooms; it is a problem at off campus bars and parties. 21 year old students are already permitted to own and carry concealed weapons off campus. There is already a potential for alcohol to interfere and become a negative factor, yet in the 13 years of LA concealed carry law, there has not been any issue with alcohol and concealed weapons.

• There is a reason why alcohol has not been a problem for people with concealed carry permits. When you take a training class prior to receiving your permit, you are instructed that the law prohibits carrying of a concealed weapon if your BAC is greater than 0.03. This is more than twice as low as the driving limit and instructors generally advise against ANY alcohol consumption while carrying. People who are responsible enough to take personnel protection seriously tend to be responsible enough to know when to leave their weapon at home because alcohol will be consumed. Additionally, LA law prohibits carrying weapons into establishments that primarily sell alcohol.
    Alcohol is not the issue in HB27

• Opponents argue that guns on campus for game days would introduce weapons to an environment with lots of alcohol and passionate fans. An amendment has already been engrossed into the bill that will prohibit weapons at sporting events and areas supporting sporting events.

• Opponents argue that college is a stressful time for students and introducing guns could spark disaster. This bill does not change the mental stability of LA students. If a student is so depressed that they are considering harm to themselves or others, they will find a way. Students can already go to our new Bass Pro and purchase a firearm and choose whether to act responsibly or commit a crime.

• Opponents also argue that guns in classrooms would be intimidating and distracting. Over 30,000 LA residents have permits to carry concealed weapons and do so around us every day. Yet residents are not distracted or intimidated by these people because the weapons are concealed.

• Other universities in the United States that allow concealed weapons on campus have not seen an influx of concealed permit applications, and have not experienced any incidents involving persons with concealed weapon permits.

As HB27 is debated in the House, please keep in mind the purpose of this bill, as the opponents will try as hard as they can to distort it with other issues. I hope that I can count on your support for HB27, and ask that you encourage your fellow representatives to vote in favor of HB27 as well.

Sincerely,
    xxx

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    As predicted. Hate to be a pessimist, but this country is not ready for bills like this. I don't know how they ever passed in other states.

CCW

CCW
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Louisiana
    Wow. 86 - 18. I didn't think it would be that bad.

It was a three ring circus. Concealed carry permit holders were ridiculed, marginalized and all but called criminals. We were mocked and laughed at. Thank the university administrations for the resounding defeat. They used public money to lobby against the bill and it worked well.
    :o

Last edited:

AfterShock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Circus indeed. Every time Rep. Norton opened her mouth garbage came spewing out. She is an absolute moron. At least some folks put some thought into their arguments, I feel sorry for whatever district she represents...

CCW

CCW
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Louisiana
    Here is a list of how the House of Representatives voted on HB 27:

Here’s how the House voted when it killed HB27 that would have allowed concealed guns on college campuses:

FOR guns on campuses (18): Reps. Arnold, Baldone, Connick, Geymann, Greene, Hazel, Henry, Hill, LaBruzzo, Lambert, Ligi, Lopinto, Morris, Nowlin, Richardson, Templet, White and Wooton.

AGAINST guns on campuses (86): Speaker Tucker and Reps. Abramson, Anders, Armes, Aubert, A. Badon, B. Badon, Barras, Barrow, Billiot, Brossett, Burford, H. Burns, T. Burns, Burrell, Carmody, Carter, Champagne, Chandler, Chaney, Cortez, Cromer, Danahay, Dixon, Doerge, Dove, Downs, Edwards, Ellington, Ernst, Fannin, Foil, Franklin, Gallot, Gisclair, Guillory, Guinn, Hardy, Harrison, Henderson, Hines, Hoffmann, Honey, Howard, Hutter, G. Jackson, M. Jackson, Johnson, R. Jones, S. Jones, Katz, Kleckley, LaFonta, Landry, LeBas, Leger, Little, McVea, Mills, Monica, Montoucet, Norton, Pearson, Perry, Peterson, Ponti, Pope, Pugh, Richard, Richmond, Ritchie, Robideaux, Roy, Schroder, Simon, Smiley, G. Smith, J. Smith, P. Smith, St. Germain, Stiaes, Talbot, Thibaut, Waddell, Williams and Willmott.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Here is a list of how the House of Representatives voted on HB 27:

Here’s how the House voted when it killed HB27 that would have allowed concealed guns on college campuses:

FOR guns on campuses (18): Reps. Arnold, Baldone, Connick, Geymann, Greene, Hazel, Henry, Hill, LaBruzzo, Lambert, Ligi, Lopinto, Morris, Nowlin, Richardson, Templet, White and Wooton.

AGAINST guns on campuses (86): Speaker Tucker and Reps. Abramson, Anders, Armes, Aubert, A. Badon, B. Badon, Barras, Barrow, Billiot, Brossett, Burford, H. Burns, T. Burns, Burrell, Carmody, Carter, Champagne, Chandler, Chaney, Cortez, Cromer, Danahay, Dixon, Doerge, Dove, Downs, Edwards, Ellington, Ernst, Fannin, Foil, Franklin, Gallot, Gisclair, Guillory, Guinn, Hardy, Harrison, Henderson, Hines, Hoffmann, Honey, Howard, Hutter, G. Jackson, M. Jackson, Johnson, R. Jones, S. Jones, Katz, Kleckley, LaFonta, Landry, LeBas, Leger, Little, McVea, Mills, Monica, Montoucet, Norton, Pearson, Perry, Peterson, Ponti, Pope, Pugh, Richard, Richmond, Ritchie, Robideaux, Roy, Schroder, Simon, Smiley, G. Smith, J. Smith, P. Smith, St. Germain, Stiaes, Talbot, Thibaut, Waddell, Williams and Willmott.

A good deal of education needs to take place. That is a very lopsided vote.

senseibuddy

Black Riflin' & Glock'n
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    st amant
    perhaps there should be a large sign on campus' around the state to say 'hey, this is a gun free zone and a target rich environment. play nice.'

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom