1911 45acp vs 9mm

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    As an FYI BAM BAM - you can get 22 conversion kits for that 45 you have.
    I have been bitten by the rimfire bug for awhile and my dwindling stockpile of .22lr will show that! I will have to find a range locally that has a 1911 in 9mm to rent and see if I really want one.
    At 65 with hints of arthritis creeping in to my wrist, I am sending more .356 lead down range these days than .452. 200 rounds per session of 230gr hard ball is not as much fun as it used to be.

I load the 9's to gnat fart levels that still cycle the slide while punching holes in paper.

But I still carry the caliber God instructed St. John Moses Browning to build the 1911 to handle so aptly.
    I completely understand that, as a body run ragged by myself @ 59 and had major back surgery I get it. While I can I will shoot my 357 and 45 until I can no longer hold it up. lol

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    I have always had a 1911 in 45. It’s gonna be real hard to beat my STI Spartan for accuracy and smoothness of operation. BUT when I run across the right 9mm 1911 at the right price, the Spartan will have a roommate.
    I have shot quite a few 1911s in 9mm, most don’t come with the right recoil spring for my loads, so I expect to do some experimenting when the time arises. USPSA Single Stack division is the perfect game for the 9mm.

Martman300

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 12, 2018
    Gretna, la
    I have used both, just traded off a 9mm.

I have always had a 1911, that was my only 9, always had a 45, like the rest of you. I liked the 9mm, but, I like the DA/SA Beretta’s better.

Now if I come across a nice stainless one, I may have to rethink it, in either caliber. Heck, maybe even in a 22. Something abouta nice stainless 92, or 1911.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Re the tisas gun you linked. Don't buy a 1911 that is in the "GI" trim lever. BY that I mean a std 1911 or a1 format. Get a model with a proper beaver-tail, ring hammer, lower/flared ejection port (not sure of the usefulness of that with 9mm, but it is certainly a plus on a 45 gun), and possbily an undercut trigger guard. Given the cost difference is only maybe 100 bucks or less depending on the sale, it makes sense to buy the better optioned gun.

I see the tisas "upgraded" models go on sale at palmetto often, with what I would consider really good pricing, 400 to 450 or so.

As far as 9mm 1911s go, if you like the platform I cannot see why you would not like shooting it in 9mm. I would suggest an aluminum framed commander length model, as that is my favorite 1911 variant. With a bobcut frame, of course.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    Re the tisas gun you linked. Don't buy a 1911 that is in the "GI" trim lever. BY that I mean a std 1911 or a1 format. Get a model with a proper beaver-tail, ring hammer, lower/flared ejection port (not sure of the usefulness of that with 9mm, but it is certainly a plus on a 45 gun), and possbily an undercut trigger guard. Given the cost difference is only maybe 100 bucks or less depending on the sale, it makes sense to buy the better optioned gun.

I see the tisas "upgraded" models go on sale at palmetto often, with what I would consider really good pricing, 400 to 450 or so.

As far as 9mm 1911s go, if you like the platform I cannot see why you would not like shooting it in 9mm. I would suggest an aluminum framed commander length model, as that is my favorite 1911 variant. With a bobcut frame, of course.
    I appreciate the advice as I'm not sure if I would really want one or not. I would definitely want a more "upgraded" gun over a base model and it better have damn good sights! Lol I am going to keep my eyes open for a good deal on one. Thanks

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    If you want budget get RIA they are decent, most budget 1911 triggers are garbage but not all. I always recommend folks save up for something with forged FCG or trigger components. Or you can replace the trigger components with an Ed Brown if you know what you are doing. I have tried several FCGs and Ed Brown is my favorite. I have installed a few over the years. Improperly hardened FCGs cannot be worked into good FCGs. The last one I inspected was an old Colt and it was not hardened properly and looked like it was ground with a wagon wheel.. I would check used 1911 at LGS' for slide the frame fit and when you find a smooth fitted model you like you can always hive it a trigger job. Its harder to do an action job.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I really love my springfield loaded model. it's been very reliable.

I did make the mistake of handling a CZ Shadow 'orange'. It fits my hand perfectly. My wife would kill me if I dropped $2K+ on a pistol though!

Murgatroyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2023
    Somewhere nice
    Getting a single stack 1911 in 9x19mm is like getting an AR-15 chambered in 7.62x39mm. It will work somewhat reliably (maybe), but you might as well look an a whole other type of firearm to really get the benefits of the 9x19mm chambering. Get a Sig P226, CZ75, Beretta 92 or Hi-Power, all of which can be found with single-action only variants. Or go full 2011 and get a Staccato.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom