(1911) Brass marks in front of ejection port ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Philt1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    Lafayette La.
    Hello all , i seem to getting brass marks on my kimber pro carry 2 (4 inch )in front of port . i sent it to kimber for brass hitting me in the head , well that took a dam MONTH for them to get it back to me , soo now i have this problem , can some 1 tell me how i can tune the extractor to fix this ? thx

Philt1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    Lafayette La.
    lol, yeah , well that seems to be the problem , kimber will say srry send it in . but all is well i tuned the extractor and we are smokin :) . i dont think i will buy another kimber NEW , ive had a few hick-ups with this weapon , but this is my best shooter and i really love this weapon . I have learned alot on 1911,s because of this gun , it was very aggravating at times not knowing how to fix (simple problems now ) things on 1911,s , but thanks to forums like this one and research on the web anyone can learn as i did .

Not everyone is a Kimber fan , but this IS a very very accurate shooter

Last edited:

ripsaw

Professional Slacker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    Hattiesburg MS.
    Hi Phil, is your pistol running the combat ejector that is extended ? If so, you can find a standard to compare it to and replace with it. That should fix your dings at the slide and port. The extended combat ejector is not needed anyway unless you are running a compensator and juiced up loads such as a 155 gr. SWC at around 1100 FPS like I do in my Combat Elite Colt. They ( the extended ejector) also help when the scope mount is a problem with ejection.

If you already have a standard ejector, you can tune it to throw the brass higher up and then back, by filing the top angle, ( there are two, that form an arrow point of sorts) at a more defined angle...in other words cutting the back deeper, to nothing in the front. Caution is advised to not take too much before testing, and the hardness will be affected, but by the time it lets go on you, the barrel will be shot out anyway. Sand smooth afterwards and cold blue touch up....rinse with cold water....oil and go.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Phil if you have NO clue of what you are doing I recommend for you to call Mike Moore with Tac Drivers, he is located in Arnaudville and he is my go to Smith when it comes to 1911's, he was known with the competition crowd back in the day before he decided to go full time into LEO, he is still one of the best custom rifle builders in the country.

337 654 5993

Tell him Pablo Estrada sent you.

Philt1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    Lafayette La.
    wow , thx guys for the response , i forgot about this post for some reason , but indeed about Mr. Mike Moore , I got his card from Francis from custom guns , i did call Mr. Moore and talked to him but he was in a training session in Arizona and wouldn't be back till later that week , seemed like a very nice guy and was willing to hlp me with what ever i needed , ive heard that he is a ace with 1911,s and i will be calling him for any further work on my kimber.

Ripsaw , im gonna order another std extractor before i start filing on this 1 , as im not a smith , just basically kinda wingin it but getting by, i would like to take all the guess work out by having this down thou

thx all

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    You need to tune the ejector, not the extractor. For the price you pay for a replacement you could probably just have yours tuned. Plus replacing the ejector is a whole 'nother pain in the ass to deal with. ;)

Philt1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    Lafayette La.
    LOL, i got ya speedracer, Im gonna look into it but as it is for now im throwing brass soft not a real hard ejection but i have no marks on my port anymore but i do have SOME brass that doesnt eject properly every now ad then . meaning that when a shot is fired the brass gets stuck in the slide , so yeah i still have some issues that needs attention.
    im not using this as ccw till its flawless FO SHO

Top Bottom