1911 build

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    Well got all the parts in today except the slide it'll be here any day. Blended the mainspring housing in having to polish everything inside the frame since it rough but I've got a functioning frame. Trigger pull is about 6lbs but think the 23# mainspring might have something to do with that.

So far the only part screw up is the grip safety, it's for an uncut frame where the frame I ordered is already cut for a beaver tail.
    Fusion frame and slide ordered separate so no kit gotta fit them myself, kart ex fit barrel and a mix of wilson, ed brown, and egw parts. Just hope it doesn't drive me insane.

img20110720112818.jpg

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Rifle Co. ? We used to hunt between Meeker and Craig.

I have a 1911 project in the drawer maybe you'll inspire me. I just need to fit the barrel link if I remember right. sad

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    yeah moved from breaux bridge to here 3 months ago due to work. It's alright, the food sucks, went to the one cajun place and had translucent etoufee and cheese free au gratin.

Just polished the hammer hooks and bent the sear spring back a bit got a smidge over 4.5# now, feels pretty good for what will be a carry gun. figure this is gonna take a few months to finish completely.

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    Slide came in, I'm still working a 7 and 7 so not much time to work on it but it was real close so just some 800 grit lapping compound got it on to the frame. Don't think I'm going to have any ball cuts done.

img20110724072632.jpg

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    Worked on it all day today. Barrel is in and on the frame. I've got a new grip safety on the way that will fit right. Everything is really stiff and tight on it, but think I might be test firing with in a few days. Still have to order sights for it too.

img20110728220020.jpg

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    Test fired about 100 rounds today. Shot great can't make any accuracy claims as there are no sights and was just popping a old drum that was at the 50 yard mark. Only issue so far is the slide won't stay back sometimes on a empty mag. Think I just need to polish the slide catch and pin that holds it up down is to rough or spring still too tight. Wear marks on the sear and barrel look nice and uniform so I'm calling it good.

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    Thanks, Not sure on total build cost, didn't buy it all at once, and trying not to think about it, guesstimating at about $1000-$1200 plus tools, but I plan to build more than one and rebuilding my Taurus and springer now that I have all that.

I just realized I haven't ordered grips any ideas?

img20110729193347.jpg

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    As far as grips go, I would like to see some custom Micarta or G10 grips. VZ makes nice grips but they come in funky colors. Wilson Combat starburst grips are awesome too.

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    Got the sights and shot it today target was about 15yards. Waiting on a stainless safety, buggered the last one, and think I need a slightly shorter front sight dunno may just get used to it as is.

Only issue I'm having is it sometimes won't go into battery by maybe 1/16" I can easily push it in no problem. Think I'll start by polishing the extractor.

Also think I'm going to blast the slide and make it black as well

img20110803183457.jpg

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    DONE! for now anyway

It's finished for now, Here's some pics, I was going to do all black but ran out of black, also decided to spray my Kel-Tec Slide. Then there's a pick of my OD G30 just to round out the OD/Black in the collection. The 2 targets are from the last test fire, bench rest at 15 yards or so using reloads. Wish I knew how to take better pictures.

dscf0086a.jpg
    dscf0087nb.jpg
    dscf0090kk.jpg
    dscf0091m.jpg
    img20110814185525.jpg
    img20110814185541.jpg

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    Also need ideas for a custom rollmark/logo. Getting tired of explaining the whole "I built it" at the range, "it's a fusion frame and slide" doesn't seem to cover the "who makes that" question.

tmfaulk

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Lafayette
    Also need ideas for a custom rollmark/logo. Getting tired of explaining the whole "I built it" at the range, "it's a fusion frame and slide" doesn't seem to cover the "who makes that" question.

In addition to the rollmark, where you looking to make a logo for the handle? What would you want to call it? Or were you just looking to do a logo that was simply an image with no name.

Last edited:

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    In addition to the rollmark, where you looking to make a logo for the handle? What would you want to call it? Or were you just looking to do a logo that was simply an image with no name.

Just getting ideas for something personal I can put the back of the slide or next to a roll mark like the Yost-Bonitz 1*. Maybe a NLL that's connected somehow or maybe slopes at a downward angle. Not special for just this one but for future builds too.

This one won't be the last, already getting the list together for an officers model and have ideas for at least 3 more. For an actual roll mark I'm thinking something like "NLL Custom .45ACP" or my last name big and gaudy across the slide.

Last edited:

tmfaulk

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Lafayette
    Just getting ideas for something personal I can put the back of the slide or next to a roll mark like the Yost-Bonitz 1*. Maybe a NLL that's connected somehow or maybe slopes at a downward angle. Not special for just this one but for future builds too.

This one won't be the last, already getting the list together for an officers model and have ideas for at least 3 more. For an actual roll mark I'm thinking something like "NLL Custom .45ACP" or my last name big and gaudy across the slide.

PMed ya.

Top Bottom