1911 concealed question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrmojo32

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Denham Springs Louisiana
    The Minotaur Mtac is very comfortable so far and I really like how the carried angle is adjustable. I do have one issue and I am not sure if it is something I am doing or just the combination of my 1911 and this holster.

I have an oversized safety and every once in a while I find it switched to off safety while carrying. I cannot switch to a regular safety because my thumbs ride on this one and it is part of my shooting.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice on another style that allows for better fit of this style safety?

!1.JPG

!2.JPG

!3.JPG

!4.JPG

Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    That leather where the safety is may just need to be broken in or have a little more relief formed into it. When I was carrying a 1911, only once or twice did I find that the safety had slipped off, and that was when my holster was still quite new.

Is that safety original to that gun?

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have the same problem with a Kimber.

Just never push the pistol into the holster by the backstrap safety. I check "safety" position every time I remove it from the holster, as I am removing it. Also, my retention strap rides over the slide rear, between the firing apparatus & the hammer.

Good Luck,

leVieux

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    maybe just me but if I was going to carry that 1911 in that holster, I'd at least try to retrain my thumbs to ride on a lower-profile thumb safety, thinking that might be easier than dealing with the potential problems that could arise from an AD.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    That's an incredibly large safety you have. I would certainly consider switching to something with a much lower profile. A safety like that would be fine for a range gun but its entirely too big for a carry gun IMO.

Also, I couldn't tell if its a series 70 or 80. If it's a series 80, there's absolutely no reason you should fear carrying it with a round chambered and the hammer down (Condition 2).

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I have a SA Loaded with an extended ambi safety. It is very positive engaging and has yet to flip off by inserting in the holster. The holster does have a definite indention for the safety too. It's a Milt Sparks VMII.

When I holster the gun, I put my thumb over the hammer until it is secure. I do tend to check the safety, but have never found it off.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I think you need a smaller safety and I think you need to check and see if yours has worn its way loose. The safety lever should require perceptible input to move and should have a positive snap when moved.

mrmojo32

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Denham Springs Louisiana
    Why? Did you disable the grip safety as well?

No, the grip safety is fine. I just did not want to take any chances and I though maybe the holster just needs to wear in.

That's an incredibly large safety you have. I would certainly consider switching to something with a much lower profile. A safety like that would be fine for a range gun but its entirely too big for a carry gun IMO.

Also, I couldn't tell if its a series 70 or 80. If it's a series 80, there's absolutely no reason you should fear carrying it with a round chambered and the hammer down (Condition 2).

It is a series 80 but I know something was removed by the gunsmith when I had all my mods done. And yeah, it is one big safety! :)

I have a SA Loaded with an extended ambi safety. It is very positive engaging and has yet to flip off by inserting in the holster. The holster does have a definite indention for the safety too. It's a Milt Sparks VMII.

When I holster the gun, I put my thumb over the hammer until it is secure. I do tend to check the safety, but have never found it off.

My does not come off during holstering but sometime during wear throughout the day.

I think you need a smaller safety and I think you need to check and see if yours has worn its way loose. The safety lever should require perceptible input to move and should have a positive snap when moved.

Yep, I know what you mean. Mine makes a good snap that you can feel and hear when engauged.

Coastie Paul

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Slidell, LA
    So, with your current problem are you carrying with the safety ON and NO round in the chamber? That would be a lot you had to do in order to get your gun to fire under a stressful situation (i.e. take off safety, chamber a round).

Cheapest fix is probably lower profile safety. More expensive option, but a great excuse, is to buy another carry gun.

Are you using a belt designed for carry or a regular department store type belt?

I've got a full size .45 but decided to buy a smaller gun for carry. Maybe in the future, though, I'll have to get outfitted to carry the .45.

Good luck.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    That safety is quite big, and there might not be much you can do. You can try wetting the leather a little bit and pressing the safety into it with the gun in its normal holstered position. Put something heavy on the gun in a manner that keeps the safety pressed firmly into the leather and let it sit overnight. Eventually you should end up with a nice impression in the leather that will help hold the safety in the safe position.

mrmojo32

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Denham Springs Louisiana
    So, with your current problem are you carrying with the safety ON and NO round in the chamber? That would be a lot you had to do in order to get your gun to fire under a stressful situation (i.e. take off safety, chamber a round).

Cheapest fix is probably lower profile safety. More expensive option, but a great excuse, is to buy another carry gun.

Are you using a belt designed for carry or a regular department store type belt?

I've got a full size .45 but decided to buy a smaller gun for carry. Maybe in the future, though, I'll have to get outfitted to carry the .45.

Good luck.
    I know what you mean about alot to do in a stressful situation but I thought I would be safe until this problem is fixed.

I like the idea of maybe another carry 1911 but I have a lot of other projects that need $ :)

I have a 1-1/2" wide safari land belt so I do not think that is the issue. I am starting to think it is just that big assed safety but it is GREAT to shoot with though! :)

That safety is quite big, and there might not be much you can do. You can try wetting the leather a little bit and pressing the safety into it with the gun in its normal holstered position. Put something heavy on the gun in a manner that keeps the safety pressed firmly into the leather and let it sit overnight. Eventually you should end up with a nice impression in the leather that will help hold the safety in the safe position.

I might give this a try!

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    I am starting to think it is just that big assed safety

:thumbsup:

I think Clint Smith and others cite this is the compelling reason for the smaller, i.e. original, size safeties on 1911 carry guns. Wouldn't take an excessive amount of movement to click the safety off during the course of a day with the larger, extended safety like yours. I have Wilson ambis on both my competition guns and your safety dwarfs them by a considerable amount...almost anything other than what you have would minimize the difficulty you're having, I'll bet.

Top Bottom