1911 concealed question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pulpsmack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Red Stick
    I carry 1911s above all else and I carry left handed, which means an ambi-safety or it means a standard "GI" pistol requiring a dilemma.

Over years of carry, I have had the safety sweep off many times. It can happen. Some things can minimize it, and it should be an infrequent occurance regardless. That said, while I respect everybody is responsible for their own margin of safety, a 1911 with the thumb safety (unintentionally) disengaged is perfectly safe provided that:

1. The operator know and adhere to the 4 rules of firearms safety

2. The pistol is housed in a proper holster that completely covers the triggerguard

When I carry an "ambi-less" GI configured 1911, I have to either carry the weapon with the safety disengaged or disengage the safety over my clothing at the first sense of trouble. That may not be safe to what you reserve for your comfort margin (and that's fine) but it is nontheless safe.

JMB's original design didn't have a manual safety (see the 1910 test pistol), but it did have a grip safety. A condition zero (cocked/unlocked) 1911 in a proper holster is on par with a Springfield XD in a holster - the main difference being hammer and striker fired applications. What is CRITICAL is that whether you always carry condition one, condition three, change your safety or leave it, is that you NEVER rely on the mechanical safety as the last barrier between you and a negligent discharge.

Personally, I would consider your current thumb safety and holster situation, but whichever way you go, I would either commit and train on Condition one or Condition three.

kirkdbergeron

Zombie Killah! LOL
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Morgan City, LA
    i use the same holster you have for a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II and I also find the safety in the "off" position from time to time and have to re-enable it. It doesn't happen all the time, I guess just when I do certain things, but as Baldrik said, the holster still has some breaking in to do as well.

mrmojo32

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Denham Springs Louisiana
    Well I think I might have just broke it in. It got soaked in this afternoon's rain and it seems to really be taking the shape of the safety well.

Check it out:

!12.JPG

!13.JPG

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Well I think I might have just broke it in. It got soaked in this afternoon's rain and it seems to really be taking the shape of the safety well.

Check it out:

%2112.JPG

This picture really shows how big that safety is. I know you showed a similar picture in the OP, but it even looks bigger here. It looks like a boat paddle.

IMO, change it.

mrmojo32

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Denham Springs Louisiana
    BBQLS1... You are right 4 sure but I love shooting this pistol with this safety on it. It's great!

So I think I am going to just get another 1911 for carry. Sounds like a great excuse for another 1911... Right?

:)

mrmojo32

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Denham Springs Louisiana
    Just an update:

I still want a new carry 1911 but.... Ever since my holster got soaked yesterday it has held it's new form with an indention for the oversized safety and I have carryed it all day and it has yet to bump off safety.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    You are the man Speed Racer.

I wouldn't go that far. :rofl:

My M&P-9c was a thumb safety model and NO ONE made holsters for it. I dealt with the same issue, and was instructed by the guy who made my leather rig (KD Holsters) about wetting and forming the leather to the safety. But I'll be damned if simply standing in the rain didn't work just as well for ya. I spent hours messing with it, you accomplished the same thing doing nothing. For that reason, I'd say YOU are the man. :D

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jbruning
    Top Bottom