1911 "Sweetheart" Grips

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    Not quite sure where this topic fits, but I'll go with Gunsmithing because it has to do with parts manufacturing.
    I stumbled across a thread on another forum concerning "Sweetheart" grips made during WWII, and subsequently searched further on the subject. I found a good bit of information and some amazing pictures.
    For those who don't know, "Sweetheart" grips were 1911 grips made by GI's using clear plastic, usually old aircraft windscreens from junk piles or downed aircraft. After shaping to fit, they would place pictures underneath of their loved ones, or sometimes Pinup models.
    I was wondering if anyone makes them locally, or knows of a shop that carries clear grips?

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    yeah, those are cool!

WWIIGRIPSPlastic.jpg

Clear2.jpg
    Clear3.jpg

Last edited:

BenCarp27

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    I thought about buying 1/4 Lexan and making them myself. Shaping them wouldn't be a problem, polishing the clouding off the cut and sanded parts of the Lexan is something I know nothing about.
    Does anyone have advice or experience doing this?

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    maybe one of the progressive products for removing the haze from headlight lenses would work to produce a really smooth, clear finish.

I know that we sometimes refurbish the windscreens on the helicopters with something called Micro-Mesh. It's basically the same type of progressive system where you are removing surface material and each compound is less aggressive until you're done and have a scratch-free finish.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/Micromesh.php

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Charlie P, remember that thread from the 1911 forum from the guys that would build their own grips ??????

I wonder if you couldnt create a mold using an actual grip, create a rubber cast and then reverse it so that you would pour the "clear coat" resin into the rubber cast

I just dont know if it would dry up, then it would be a matter of re-shaping the corners and sand

BenCarp27

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    I've searched all over online and haven't been able to find premade molds. With the popularity of 1911 frame handguns lately you would think someone would have marketed mold sets already. Then again my Internet searching ability isn't as good as most peoples'.
    I also never thought of the progressive compounds. My mind was focused on the smaller arts and crafts products, and the obvious slipped on by. I would have to think it would work the same.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Charlie P, remember that thread from the 1911 forum from the guys that would build their own grips ??????

yeah, but I'm not sure the fiberglass resin would dry clear enough. maybe some sort of epoxy or acrylic that is really viscous. you would need something that would yield a product like the tabletops at Mr. Gatti's.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=263495

I've searched all over online and haven't been able to find premade molds. With the popularity of 1911 frame handguns lately you would think someone would have marketed mold sets already.

this would probably be the easiest part of the equation. a set of smooth grips and some plaster may work, or you could get fancy and sweet-talk your dentist out of some of the stuff he uses for making impressions.

Last edited:

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I could do it with the materials I use in my business. Basically I'd have to use a set of grips to fabricate a mold, boil that to remove and coat the mold with a release agent and pack it with clear heat cure acrlic. The process is a method of lost wax technique very much like casting jewelry but using acrylic.
    Let me check with one of my supply companies to see if they have anything else that might work.

Who has an extra set of grips they don't mind allowing to get wet? Do all 1911 grips fit interchangeably with each other regardless of manufacturer?

I've made crazier stuff including parts for remote control boats that were unavailable.

BenCarp27

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    I could do it with the materials I use in my business. Basically I'd have to use a set of grips to fabricate a mold, boil that to remove and coat the mold with a release agent and pack it with clear heat cure acrlic. The process is a method of lost wax technique very much like casting jewelry but using acrylic.
    Let me check with one of my supply companies to see if they have anything else that might work.

Who has an extra set of grips they don't mind allowing to get wet? Do all 1911 grips fit interchangeably with each other regardless of manufacturer?

I've made crazier stuff including parts for remote control boats that were unavailable.

If you can figure out how to make them, I'd buy a couple of sets. Or if you could, I'd even buy a mold set.
    I'm really intrigued with the idea and I'd love to make a set using a couple of vintage aircraft photos, maybe some pinup shots, etc.
    The possibilities are endless since you can pretty much choose any image you can print and seal onto the back. Maybe even a couple of "Bayoushooter" logo'd grips.

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I'd really like to just try to see if I have a flask big enough and the see how a clear set would come out first. No guarantee but, if someone has an old set with smooth surface I'd give it a try.

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I have some extra grips BUT none are smooth, they are all rough textured

IMO the old style wood smooth grips would probably be the best for the mold.

It would be AWESOME to create a grip with a picture in it, specially for grandpas gun

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I could try with a rough grip but, the rougher the texture is, the harder it is to polish to a nice clear shine.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I could try with a rough grip but, the rougher the texture is, the harder it is to polish to a nice clear shine.

a belt sander should solve this; either beforehand by sanding the wood ones down before making the mold or after by sanding the resin blank down before polishing.

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    a belt sander should solve this; either beforehand by sanding the wood ones down before making the mold or after by sanding the resin blank down before polishing.

Better yet, rather than reduce the girthe or the grip's by sanding, I could just fill them in with either wax or plaster. Thinking about this I have a couple of ideas on actually inlaying a picture into the grips. Now, I'm going to really have to try this for sure.
    Actually I could even embed items like a disected spent cartridge and bullet. That'd be cool!

Top Bottom