20 Year Old Carry

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Need info. I've been looking but all I seem to find is that at 18 (I'm gathering info for my 20 yr old grandson) you can purchase and own a firearm as long as you have a clean record and all else is good. Now, that said, can this 20 yr old borrow one of my handguns (he lives at home with his mother - my daughter) and keep it at home and/or in the car AS LONG AS IT IS NOT CONCEALED!!!??? He had an incident Saturday night (see below) and my daughter fears there may be retribution from this incident. I, personally, don't think so but can they (he's pretty well-trained and is a criminal justice & psychology student) have a "borrowed" handgun in their home? And if in the car, how to do that NOT concealed? And can he carry OPEN? He intends to apply for a CC permit after his 21st birthday but until then ... This is a cool story. A bit scary but I am impressed the way the boy performed. Enjoy:

My 20 yr old grandson went skateboarding with friends at a skate-park in a rather unsavory part of New Orleans. I would have advised against the location but I'm not involved in this stuff. The boy and his Mom (my daughter) are taking Krav Maga (Israeli Self Defense) classes and do it fairly well - Level 2.

So he tells me today about 10:00 last night he and his buddies get approached by 2 punks with bandanas over their faces pointing (what he thought was) a 9mm pistol at HIM!. Told him to give him his wallet and cellphone. The grandson said all he had was $10, his wallet and phone were in the car and the guy took the 10 bucks. Then he looked away and grand dude grabbed his wrist so hard the gun (and $10) flew outta his hand and he punched him in the face 2 times quickly and hard enough to put the punk on the ground. Looked toward punk #2 to see if he was packing or advancing but he was moving away.

Grandson ran over and picked up the gun and both punks were leaving as fast as they could! He and his friends wrapped the gun in a T-shirt as one guy called the cops. Cops arrived and were full of congratulations. Said they had to think about how to write the report because they did not do this kind of report too often! They took the gun as evidence, thanked the boys and left.

I told grandson #1 that he might think about NEVER GOING TO THAT PLACE AGAIN and staying closer to home and/or safer skate parks. He agreed. But I am flabbergasted that the kid kept his wits about him so well, performed from his Martial Arts training (disarming a guy with a gun!!! ) and did everything like from a book! I hope I can be so cool and collected if ever faced with a situation like that!

This kid kicked ass, put down 1 punk WITH A GUN, scared the other off, got an illegal weapon off the street and probably made life pure HELL for the would-be robbers who will NEVER live this down when they get back to their own 'posse'. A-holes!!! My grandson is 6'3' and weighs about 120 lbs wet!

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Gun..he don't need no stinkin gun! Glad he and his friends are ok. Not sure about the law but I had a pistol in my car (dad's gun) at 15 years old. It was the good old days in the country. I think if you can serve your nation with a gun and possibly make the ultimate sacrifice then you should be able to buy a beer and a weapon, at the same time.

trout25red

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Best Bank
    Good on him, but I would have felt lucky to get out of that for $10. Of course, I don't know Krav Maga. I bet his instructors are proud. Do they study at the Algiers location? I have been thinking about checking it out.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    All laws apply at 18. I'm always more concerned about the mental state of a young person to include the people they are with when they might have a gun. When I was in college one of my friends decided he would brag to me a about his recent trip to the city, my hometown of Pittsburgh. He and his friends get loaded and decide to ride around the town shooting a handgun up in the air and out the window of a moving car. He and his friends were idiots and thankfully outgrew testosterone-psychosis. Last thing you want is a phone call from the police saying the gun that is registered to you was used in an assault; pointing a gun at someone is either self-defense or aggravated assault. Everyone is different.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Pretty sure he could be in possession but just can't purchase one.... At the same time, a gun in the car doesn't do one any good when the person is standing right in front of you. He did well, and glad he got an illegal gun off the street and showed a criminal what he had coming. At the same time, he also put himself in a potentially more dangerous situation by engaging the bad guy. At the end of the day, it all worked out for the best and glad he's ok. Krav Maga is a great self defense/fitness class to take. I work only a few blocks away from the Algiers location.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Are these guys looking for him? Seriously doubt it. These two are bottom feeders that are likely licking wounds and/or retaliating on some another hapless victim.

Is he legal to open carry? Yup. All other rules apply as well. Only hurdle I see is he may struggle to get practice ammo. Note that if he was OC, he'd have either been shot or had the pistol stolen as well- since they obviously got the drop on him in the first place. food for thought.

another thought: if he's frequenting unsavory parts of new orleans at 10:00 at night, I personally don't think he needs a gun as much as he needs to grow up. sounds like he can handle himself fine without it, so let the maturity come before the gunslingin. just imho

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Are these guys looking for him? Seriously doubt it. These two are bottom feeders that are likely licking wounds and/or retaliating on some another hapless victim.

Is he legal to open carry? Yup. All other rules apply as well. Only hurdle I see is he may struggle to get practice ammo. Note that if he was OC, he'd have either been shot or had the pistol stolen as well- since they obviously got the drop on him in the first place. food for thought.

another thought: if he's frequenting unsavory parts of new orleans at 10:00 at night, I personally don't think he needs a gun as much as he needs to grow up. sounds like he can handle himself fine without it, so let the maturity come before the gunslingin. just imho

+1

Regardless of age, it would be wise to avoid shady New Orleans skate parks at night. Carrying a firearm or not, I try to avoid high risk areas at all costs.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Good on him, but I would have felt lucky to get out of that for $10. Of course, I don't know Krav Maga. I bet his instructors are proud. Do they study at the Algiers location? I have been thinking about checking it out.

Yes, my daughter got a coupon somewhere and went to try it out for exercise/weight loss reasons. She liked it and #1 son decided to start, also. It's the one on DeGaulle - Triumph Krav Maga I believe. (And the punk dropped the $10 along with the gun so they boy got his $$$ back too!)

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA

I agree with you 100%. Distance is their friend and I don't know that the (you called that one right!) "bottom-feeders" have a way to locate him. He learned his lesson about that skate park (Paris Ave at Pleasure St -I think - under the I-10 overpass :eek4: Could you think of a worse place?) and will NEVER venture there again. He performed well but 2 days after the adrenaline rush wore off I think it sunk in. Reality is a bitch! My daughter was curious about the gun and I said I thought he'd be OK to have it in their house LOCKED UP if it would make 'em feel better. Carrying wasn't/isn't a real option (but good to know).

All else you are on the money. He won't be buying anything. He's only gone to the range with me so far, never alone (he can't - I got the guns...). I'd give them a box of appropriate ammo to keep LOCKED UP WITH THE GUN so it should all be fine. After they think about it for a while, this might have all been for nothing. At least we learned some things until the boy gets to be 21. Thanks for the input.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    From my reading it looks like 18 can buy and own. Unless I missed something. But he ain't buying nothin' until he's 21! He uses all MY guns and MY ammo!!! ;)

At 21 he can buy a handgun through a FFL and will have to fill out a 4473.
    At 18 he can buy a rifle/shotgun through a FFL and will have to fill out a 4473, but he cannot purchase a handgun from a FFL.
    At 17 he can possess a handgun, rifle, or shotgun. - Louisiana RS 14:95.8

I suggest you read this link, here: http://legis.la.gov/Legis/Law.aspx?d=78747

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    At 18 he can buy a rifle/shotgun through a FFL and will have to fill out a 4473, but he cannot purchase a handgun from a FFL.

Yep he can buy a handgun from an individual 18 and possess it. Just can't buy from a FFL. Being in New Orleans I doubt the sheriff will issue one but the local sheriff can issue a CHP for his parish.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA

AHHH, that's the part I missed - long guns. No matter, he's waiting until 21 to get a permit, training and a gun of his own. I plan to take him out to shoot my guns (like we normally do), rent some that I don't have (caliber and/or brands) to find one he likes and shoots well. Then he can buy the right one to go with his permit and his new Criminal Justice diploma. Just keep the 'F' away from the 3rd world skate parks!!! :eek3: Thanks for that info!

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Yep he can buy a handgun from an individual 18 and possess it. Just can't buy from a FFL. Being in New Orleans I doubt the sheriff will issue one but the local sheriff can issue a CHP for his parish.

I'm not giving him any ideas. He can wait until he's 21 and get training, a license and a gun of his own. But thanks.

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish

Well said.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1bullseyebum
    Top Bottom