2024 Best Bang for the Buck: Bolt-Action and Straight-Pull.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    As I finish moving parts to my "girlie" colorful Spikes/RRA AR, ready for your daughters/wives, I'm pondering on trading it out for a new hunting rifle.

I'll be looking for a .30-06 this summer and I'm not partial to either the retail or private market, the prices are similar enough.

Which rifle is the best value?

I've researched a lot and so far the Savage 110 Trail Hunter seems like the ideal rifle for me, comes threaded & has nice features at a decent price and with a 1moa guarantee. The T/C Compass II looks great too, though they are new to me. The Styer Scout II also looks nice, even if with unnecessary features, but it's a bit on the higher end and uncommon.

What do you think I should look into?

Thanks!

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    The Savage rifles with that incredible accutrigger have got to be the best for the money. I think Mossberg has one as well. Then there’s the Ruger American, for a few bucks more, usually.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I think about all brands are on a level playing field these days, givin they are all in the same price range…

only thing I would look at is ergonomics and which fits you better? Grip angle, stock, action throw, style of action, safety location, mag/ internal fed ect…

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    Minute of Deer is easy to achieve with just about any modern big name bolt action. Set a budget with Glass, list out features you want, then see what you find. I am partial to my Savage and also find the Ruger bolt actions a bit lacking in 'feel'.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    An adjustable trigger and already threaded for a suppressor is ideal, under 8lbs (pref 6ish) with an 18"-22" barrel, metal magazine components, and a Green/Synthetic/Camo stock would be nice. I want to make a custom Mannlicher-style stock for it.

Ruger M77 felt nice and had a great action, felt light in the hands, but I would be scared to drop it. I tried to love Rem 700 but did not, could def drop it and it would be OK. Sako is nice but way out of budget. That's about all of my experience with hunting rifles.

I'll have to go check some out.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    An adjustable trigger and already threaded for a suppressor is ideal, under 8lbs (pref 6ish) with an 18"-22" barrel, metal magazine components, and a Green/Synthetic/Camo stock would be nice. I want to make a custom Mannlicher-style stock for it.

Ruger M77 felt nice and had a great action, felt light in the hands, but I would be scared to drop it. I tried to love Rem 700 but did not, could def drop it and it would be OK. Sako is nice but way out of budget. That's about all of my experience with hunting rifles.

I'll have to go check some out.
    My primary Deer Rifle since 1992 has been a MKII M77 in .270Win. It’s a sweet tack driver since new and I’ve never wanted another.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    For what you’re looking for

Ruger American Ranch. Light, threaded, hammer forge barrel. They save money on the cheap stock and use the same bolt bodies whether it’s .204 or .308

T/C is also good but they stopped making them. Used in SWLA in 308 for a steal right now on the classifieds

The Trailhunter would be good too but a little heavy. Savages have always shot well and always had terrible fit and finish for me

Last edited:

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    Tikka is hard to beat for value these days - accuracy/quality for the dollar.

If I may - 30-06 vs 308 - you can run a hot 308 up to 30-06 typical velocities, but you can also get 308 lite that is powder puff... I'd at least consider the 308 vs the 30-06. I've killed hogs up to the 300 lb range and they're almost always DRT with shot placement and a basic 150 gr soft point. I'm using a Rem 700 with stainless barrel as we're hunting in a salty area. If I were buying again today I'd look at Tikka, Bergara, Ruger, Savage but I'm a bit of a traditionalist and with a couple tweaks I'm still a Rem 700 kinda guy.

If I wasn't married to my 700, I will admit the straight pull got my attention but I require a stainless barrel. I've had carbon rust. Perhaps my current practice of using the Montana Xtreme Bore Conditioner would have prevented this - the stuff is magic in my opinion (post break in, 2 wet, 2 dry, before and after shooting and you're done).

With that said, I don't think it matters if it can hold an inch-ish at 100 for the vast majority of shooters. Lighter is better. You're gonna carry it more than shoot it.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Tikka is hard to beat for value these days - accuracy/quality for the dollar.

If I may - 30-06 vs 308 - you can run a hot 308 up to 30-06 typical velocities, but you can also get 308 lite that is powder puff... I'd at least consider the 308 vs the 30-06. I've killed hogs up to the 300 lb range and they're almost always DRT with shot placement and a basic 150 gr soft point. I'm using a Rem 700 with stainless barrel as we're hunting in a salty area. If I were buying again today I'd look at Tikka, Bergara, Ruger, Savage but I'm a bit of a traditionalist and with a couple tweaks I'm still a Rem 700 kinda guy.

With that said, I don't think it matters if it can hold an inch-ish at 100 for the vast majority of shooters.
    Thank you. You're definitely right on with the loads. I just like .30-06 because it's an old school-modern hunting round. I'd probably never shoot at an animal past 300yds & only if I get very lucky will it be more than a whitetail
    in the foreseeable future, so it's overkill really.

I've killed 2 deer with Rem 700, and one with a Sako, my full deer hunting career. Even if the 700 doesn't have my heart it has the numbers.

Those 4 makers are my short list.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    If I had to choose, Id get a tikka all day.. over the others.. they are also making prefit barrels now for them, so if you like the action and want to change calibers, you are able to swap barrels with simple tools. folks are winning matches with out of the box tikkas.
    I also would vote for 308 over most any other calibers, except maybe 270 or 7mm .. for simple facts that you can load up or down.
    and the availability to find ammo if you cant reload or dont want to.

Top Bottom