skateboard tape job?...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mr.z28

learning...
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    BR, LA
    anybody use skateboard tape on their pistol?...glocks specifically?...im sure anybody with tips about grip tape on any polymer based pistol would be helpful...:)

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Talon Grips w/ free shipping.

http://www.talongungrips.com/main.sc

1233216770855-1876685154.JPG

:)

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    i received my set of trugrips today that i ordered at the beginning of june and put them on my competition 34. haven't shot with them obviously but they sure are tacky.

mr.z28

learning...
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    BR, LA
    hmmm....may experiment myself...i think im pretty crafty...all else fails i know where to start looking ...preciate the quick response fellas...

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    Academy has a 4 foot strip for 10 bucks of skateboard tape. A lot of people that use it (that I've seen) put one strip in each finger groove, and one along the backstrap. Hickok45 on Youtube is one specifically.

mr.z28

learning...
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    BR, LA
    Academy has a 4 foot strip for 10 bucks of skateboard tape. A lot of people that use it (that I've seen) put one strip in each finger groove, and one along the backstrap. Hickok45 on Youtube is one specifically.

its only 4 bucks bro... ;) imma try it out when i get off work..may even post some before n afters...

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    Yeah just be aware that it does not take very well to polymer. It will need replacement after a month or so. Sorry about the price, I knew it was under 10 bucks though :)

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    AGrip! i had a few others have gone to this on our duty guns. When it gets wet it gives a better grip. A guy that has one said that the military gave it to them in Iraq.

firesafety3

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 10, 2007
    Gonzales, Louisiana
    I've used different types of tape on my handguns. When I shot USPSA, I took the grips off of my Para 16-40 Limited and just used grip tape (big, double-stack grip). I wanted something a little more aggressive and I went down to Home Depot and bought the non-skid style intended for use on steps.

I used paper to wrap around the grip and draw out the pattern then laid the pattern out on the tape. A couple things I did to help adhesion was to clean the grips with non-acetone fingernail polish remover. After removing the backing on the tape, I heated it with a hair dryer before application. This made it more pliable and it laid down very well.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    TruGrip is the kitten's mittens for a comp gun...TOO much of a good thing for a carry gun. Cut and shaped, three sets for around $21 a pack. Love it! More info at ericwesselman.com. Two pieces overlap and cover more of the grip than the Talon Grip mentioned above.

Surface prep is the key to longer life with grip tape. Use lots of alcohol...on the grip not in you :D...clean your hands with alcohol and think clean thoughts for best adhesion. Work it on carefully. I usually use a big metal bodied marker pen as a roller to press on the tape and get full adhesion.

Last edited:

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    If you want to DIY, 3-M Safety Tread Tape is the only viable option. None of the other adhesives will hold as good or last as long.
    Surface prep is important and heating the grip and the tape will help with application.

Last edited:

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    I can only imagine how annoying the stuff will feel in my hand
    You won't notice when the gun goes BANG!!!;)

Skateboard grip tap can range from "slip N' slide" to "HOLY ****, I can't move!!" and they don't hold up too well on pistols.

:)

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I tried friction tape from the hardware a few years ago. As long as you don't leave it in the car it was fine. The heat melted the adhesive. After about 3 weeks it started peeling off.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Surface prep is the key to longer life with grip tape. Use lots of alcohol...on the grip not in you :D...clean your hands with alcohol and think clean thoughts for best adhesion. Work it on carefully. I usually use a big metal bodied marker pen as a roller to press on the tape and get full adhesion.

+28434893242

I love skateboard grip tape. Your local skateshop should sell you a sheet for under $5. It's enough to do probably 50 pistols. I've had grip tape on my XD-45 for probably 1500 rounds and it's not showing the first sign of peeling. Again, prep is the key.

Not sure if anyone else mentioned it, but I wouldn't recommend it for a carry gun. In addition to rubbing your skin raw, tt "sticks" to clothing and could present a real problem while drawing the pistol.

xd_1.jpg

This is grip tape as well, though I did buy it precut (obviously).

t9a0v5e9g4gov6er2tty.jpg

bhp9mm

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 26, 2007
    slidell,la
    i guess if u like i hate the feel of this stuff i want put it on my guns i don't like the new glock the rough texture frame it feels just like it has skateboard tape on it yall can use it all u want its just not from me

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    i guess if u like i hate the feel of this stuff i want put it on my guns i don't like the new glock the rough texture frame it feels just like it has skateboard tape on it yall can use it all u want its just not from me

I can see not wanting rough textured grip for casual plinking or a dedicated chp piece but for competition or real aggressive shooting, etc, the stickier the better.

Top Bottom