Red Dot Sight Opinions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    My kids gave me a gift certificate to Cabala's for Father's Day. I have been wanting a red dot for my AR middie. Ok I know these are not ACOGs but I don't wanna spend a small fortune either. I haven't had a red dot before I have been just using iron sights. I looked at these today:

Barska Electro:

http://www.shopbarska.com/AR_15_Scopes_Mounts-BARSKA_1x30_IR_M_16_ELECTRO_SIGHT_SCOPE.html

Bushnell Trophy Multi-Reticle Red Dot Scope:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat320001&hasJS=true

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    I would pass on Eotech, too. The Army recently took all of theirs out of service because of an issue with the battery compartment. This was probably due to extreme hard use (harder than we would subject it to), but stilll...

Disagree on the EOTech. But stick with the original N style batteries. I love mine for out to 125 yards. The issue IIRC was because the longer, heavier AA batteries had a greater tendency to move during recoil and possibly break electrical contact. EOTech is addressing that issue with a redesign: I may be wrong but I believe it involved running the AAs crosswise instead of of lengthwise. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me. :D

The only thing about the N battery models is that the electrical demands of the on switch will slowly drain the batteries in six to eight months unless you pull 'em for storage.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Trijicon Reflex II. Check them out. They can be had cheaper than an EOTech or Aimpoint and never need batteries ;)

You can check mine out one of these days if you want to see what its like.

csbutton

Unreconstructed
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I tried the Bushnell but returned it

I bought the Bushnell Trophy you noted, but returned it after noticing a distinct orangish-red reflection that interfered with the view of the illuminated dot reticle. It was present on all five of the others I viewed in the store, so I decided not to get another, and wound up getting an Eotech on Ebay for about $120 more. If not for that persistant reflection, I would have been happy...it seemed like a nice red dot scope for the money. You might try one and see if you notice the reflection...it may not be noticable to everyone. Good luck with your purchase, and remember that Cabelas will price match...find one on the internet cheaper, print out the web page, and show it to them...they will honor the lower price.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Another good option... for a flat top.

Doesn't do so hot on a carry-handle mount, as I found out to my sorrow.

Also, they tend to "wash out" the dot/reticle against a light background; such a used for entry work indoors against light-colored walls with high-intensity white lights on the gun.

But for normal minute-of-thug work around the house/property... primo.

Trijicon makes a new model with a "port" on the front that accepts a mini cyalume stick and lights it up like a christmas tree. have you seen that one?
    I don't plan on clearing any houses with mine anytime soon, though, cause I'm not a tactikewl ninja ;)

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    That's what I had. Supposedly, the cyalume stick brightens up the reticle enough to prevent the wash-out. Problem with that is... will you have time to fiddle-fart around with getting the cyalume stick in place???

I was thinking more along the lines if you KNEW you were going on a swat raid/clearing a house or something like that, you could snap the cyalume then.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I have a Konus 1.5 -5x that I am happy with. I'm moving that to another gun and installing one of their red dots (as soon as I get a riser). Take a look at the Konus Atomic- its a copy of the Aimpoint Micro... I'll post a review after I get it mounted and test it out.

Top Bottom