5 threads on Proposed Ammo bill

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Screaming Eagle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Heel of the Boot
    HOUSE BILL 3245
    By Miller L
    AN ACT to amend Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 39,
    Chapter 17, Part 13, to enact the “Ammunition
    Accountability Act”.
    BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE:
    SECTION 1. This act shall be known and may be cited as the “Ammunition
    Accountability Act”.SECTION 2. The general assembly finds the following:
    (1) Each year in the United States, more than thirty percent (30%) of all
    homicides that involve a gun go unsolved;
    (2) Handgun ammunition accounts for eighty percent (80%) of all ammunition
    sold in the United States;
    (3) Current technology for matching a bullet used in a crime to the gun that fired
    it has worked moderately well for years, but presupposes that the weapon was
    recovered by law enforcement; and
    (4) Bullet coding is a new and effective way for law enforcement to quickly
    identify persons of interest in gun crime investigations.
    SECTION 3.
    For purposes of this act, "coded ammunition" means a bullet carrying a unique
    identifier that has been applied by etching onto the base of the bullet projectile.
    SECTION 4.
    (a) All handgun and assault weapon ammunition manufactured or sold in the
    state after January 1, 2009, shall be coded by the manufacturer.
    (b) No later than January 1, 2011, all non-coded ammunition for the calibers
    listed in this act, whether owned by private citizens or retail outlets, shall be disposed.
    - 2 - 01197072
    SECTION 5.
    (a) The Tennessee bureau of investigation (TBI) shall be responsible for
    establishing and maintaining an ammunition coding system database (ACSD) containing
    the following information:
    (1) A manufacturer registry. Manufacturers shall:
    (A) Register with the TBI in a manner prescribed by the
    department through rules and regulations; and
    (B) Maintain records on the business premises for a period of
    seven (7) years concerning all sales, loans and transfers of ammunition,
    to, from, or within the state; and
    (2) A vendor registry. Vendors shall:
    (A) Register with the TBI in a manner prescribed by the
    department through rules and regulations;
    (B) Record the following information in a format prescribed by the
    TBI:
    (i) The date of the transaction;
    (ii) The name of the transferee;
    (iii) The purchaser's driver license number or other
    government issued identification card number;
    (iv) The date of birth of the purchaser;
    (v) The unique identifier of all handgun ammunition or
    bullets transferred; and
    (vi) All other information prescribed by the TBI; and
    (C) Maintain records on the business premises for a period of
    three (3) years from the date of the recorded purchase.
    - 3 - 01197072
    (b) To the greatest extent possible or practical, the ACSD shall be built within the
    framework of existing firearms databases. The ACSD shall be operational no later than
    January 1, 2009.
    (c) Privacy of individuals shall be of the utmost importance. Access to
    information in the ACSD is reserved for key law enforcement personnel and shall only be
    released in connection with a criminal investigation.
    SECTION 6.
    (a) Any vendor that knowingly fails to comply with, or falsifies the records
    required to be kept by this act commits a Class A misdemeanor.
    (b) Any manufacturer that knowingly fails to comply with this act commits a
    Class A misdemeanor punishable by fine only not to exceed one thousand dollars
    ($1,000) for a first violation and punishable by fine only not to exceed five thousand
    dollars ($5,000) for second and subsequent violations.
    (c) Any person who knowingly destroys, obliterates, or otherwise renders
    unreadable, the serialization required pursuant to this act, on any bullet or assembled
    ammunition commits a Class A misdemeanor.
    SECTION 7.
    (a) The cost of establishing and maintaining the ACSD shall be funded by an
    end-user fee. Vendors shall charge an additional one half cent ($.005) per bullet or
    round of ammunition to the purchaser.
    (b) There is established the coded ammunition fund for deposit of the end-user
    fees described in this section. Moneys in the fund, upon appropriation, shall be available
    to the TBI for infrastructure, implementation, operational, enforcement, and future
    development costs of this act.
    - 4 - 01197072
    SECTION 8. This act shall take effect upon becoming a law, the public welfare requiring
    it.

House version:
    http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/bills/currentga/BILL/HB3245.pdf
    Senate Version:
    http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/bills/currentga/BILL/SB3395.pdf
    ------------------

MISSISSIPPI LEGISLATURE

2008 Regular Session

To: Judiciary, Division B; Appropriations

By: Senator(s) Jordan, Jackson (11th), Dawkins, Powell

Senate Bill 2286
    AN ACT RELATING TO FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION REQUIRING THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY TO ESTABLISH A STATEWIDE DATABASE TO TRACK CODED AMMUNITION MANUFACTURED AND SOLD FOR HANDGUNS AND ASSAULT RIFLES; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:

SECTION 1. (1) For purposes of this section, "coded ammunition" means a bullet carrying a unique identifier that has been applied by etching onto the base of the bullet projectile.

(2) (a) All handgun and assault weapon ammunition manufactured or sold in the state after July 1, 2008, shall be coded by the manufacturer.

(b) No later than January 1, 2010, all noncoded ammunition, whether owned by private citizens or retail outlets, must be disposed.

(3) (a) The Department of Public Safety shall be responsible for establishing and maintaining an Ammunition Coding System Database (ACSD) containing the following information:

(i) Register with the Department of Public Safety in a manner prescribed by the department through rule; and maintain records on the business premises for a period of seven (7) years concerning all sales, loans and transfers of ammunition, to, from, or within the state.

(ii) Register with the Department of Public Safety in a manner prescribed by the department through rule; and record the following information in a format prescribed by the Department of Public Safety:

1. The date of the transaction.

2. The name of the transferee.

3. The purchaser's driver's license number or other government issued identification card number.

4. The date of birth of the purchaser.

5. The unique identifier of all handgun ammunition or bullets transferred.

6. All other information prescribed by the Department of Public Safety.

Vendors shall also maintain records on the business premises for a period of three (3) years from the date of the recorded purchase.

(b) To the greatest extent possible or practical, the ACSD shall be built within the framework of existing firearms databases. The ACSD shall be operational no later than July 1, 2008.

(c) Privacy of individuals is of the utmost importance. Access to information in the ACSD is reserved for key law enforcement personnel and to be released only in connection with a criminal investigation.

(4) (a) Any vendor that willfully fails to comply with, or falsifies the records required to be kept by this section, is guilty of a public offense punishable by imprisonment not to exceed one (1) year and a fine of One Thousand Dollars ($1,000.00).

(b) Any manufacturer that fails to comply with the provisions of this section shall be liable for a civil fine of not more than One Thousand Dollars ($1,000.00) for a first violation, not more than Five Thousand Dollars ($5,000.00) for a second violation, and not more than Ten Thousand Dollars ($10,000.00) for a third or subsequent violation.

(c) Any person who willfully destroys, obliterates or otherwise renders unreadable the serialization required pursuant to this bill on any bullet or assembled ammunition is punishable by imprisonment not to exceed one (1) year and a fine of One Thousand Dollars ($1,000.00).

(5) (a) Establishing and maintaining the ACSD shall be funded by an end-user fee established by the Commissioner of Public Safety.

(b) There is hereby established the Coded Ammunition Fund for deposit of the end-user fees described in this section. Monies in the fund, upon appropriation, shall be available to the Department of Public Safety for infrastructure, implementation, operational, enforcement and future development costs of this section.

(c) Ammunition manufacturers based within this state may submit a one-time tax credit application for cost of purchasing ammunition coding equipment. All applications must be submitted by July 1, 2009.

SECTION 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 2008.

http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/2008/html/SB/2200-2299/SB2286IN.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    I just emailed some buddies in Miss. giving them the heads up. Isn't this similiar to the micro stamping bill that was jsut passed in Kalifornia?

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Just pick up a bunch of brass from a range and throw it around your victim. Sprinkle in a little hair from a barber shop just for good measure. Problem solved for the bad guy. Headaches for the good guys.

oldironsights

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2008
    Carriere, Mississippi
    What about private stocks of older ammo or frugal folks who reload their own?
    Will they suddenly get invaded by SWAT teams, have their now illegal ammo & firearms confiscated & then get thrown in jail?:eek3:
    Just another government control that makes instant criminals out of solid citizens with the stroke of a pen.
    An end run around the second amendment of the U.S. Bill of Rights.:mad:
    I will email my congressman & remaining senator voicing my displeasure about this indecent proposal!
    Would this make black powder ball & sabot projectiles illegal?

Last edited:

chadwickMS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2007
    Picayune, MS, USA
    I will email my congressman & remaining senator voicing my displeasure about this indecent proposal!

Just a note, since it sounds like you were thinking of former senator Lott's vacated seat; but this is an item in the STATE senate in Jackson.

Depending on where you live in the county, your state senator is either:

District 45 (NE part of county): Billy Hudson
    District 47 (SE part of county): Ezell Lee
    District 40 (SW part of county): Sid Albritton

Map of districts: http://www.msjrc.state.ms.us/county_senate/pearl_river.pdf
    (HUGE file).

It is also on your voter registration card. You DO have one don't you? :D

If you can't find the district info, PM me or email and I'll get it to you.

I met my state senator (Albritton) in person for the first time yesterday, and he will be getting an email today with the bill number telling him to vote against it. He is, by the way, on Judiciary A and B, two of the most important committees in the state capitol.

Also: http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us has all the information on current bills, schedules, contact info for Senators/Representatives, etc.

Bookmark and visit daily until the end of the session. :D

Last edited:

oldironsights

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2008
    Carriere, Mississippi
    Thanks, Chad!
    I am in a corner where district 40, 45 & 47 converge.
    I am in district 40.
    I have already sent Sidney Albritton & Senator Billy Hudson an email. I feel only a Republican would treat my concerns seriously.
    There is a Washington State lobbying group called ammunitionaccountability
    (http://www.ammunitionaccountability.org) that is pushing this through ten states for the benefit of ACS, ammunition coding system (http://www.ammocoding.com) that stands to make many millions of dollars by forcing all ammunition to contain their technology, collect fees from licensing, royalties on bullets & cases sold, & force manufacturers to purchase their equipment.:eek3:
    This Bill, if it becomes law, will make handloading or older stocks of ammo ILLEGAL!:mad:

Louisiana may be NEXT!:eek3:

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Doubt it.

They tried some crazy assault weapons crap here last year, and LACarry and the NRA got so many people on the horn that it never even made it TO committee.

electrode1998

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Could we please have some good news posted for a change. After all it is Christmas time. Before you start a new thread read some of the older threads and post on them to get your ideas out there.:repost:

Just my .02

electrode1998

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    b/c a proposal is currently dead doesn't mean its gone.

It's only gone when the politicians that support the act are gone.

Top Bottom