Smith & Wesson M&P .45

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    Our agency T&E'd a couple of them for the last year. Put them in the hands of nearly every officer, accomplished shooters and some not so accomplished.
    We suffered no malfunctions of any kind. We will soon transition to them.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Our agency T&E'd a couple of them for the last year. Put them in the hands of nearly every officer, accomplished shooters and some not so accomplished.
    We suffered no malfunctions of any kind. We will soon transition to them.

That will be the third agency within 50 miles of NOLA to switch to the M&P for their officers. It is a soft shooting and accurate polymer gun. Dan Burwell or Bowie for excellent trigger work.

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    Actually my first thought's were about the trigger and I have received some very good comments about this firearm here as well as a few other sites. A few LEO have commented how much it will actually soften up after it is fed a few rounds....well that means ...... LOOK OUT nasty deadly paper targets! ;)

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Actually my first thought's were about the trigger and I have received some very good comments about this firearm here as well as a few other sites. A few LEO have commented how much it will actually soften up after it is fed a few rounds....well that means ...... LOOK OUT nasty deadly paper targets! ;)

Look out for inexpensive .45 ammo.

LSUh20fowler

In the woods
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Vidrine,LA
    The trigger on my .40 M&P had softened up some. Feels real nice now. Was looking at doing a trigger job but decided to hold off until I wore the new off the gun. I'm glad I waited. I think with the trigger job done before the break in, it might have put it to soft for my liking. Oh, and I love my M&P. Have approx. 1200 rds through it. No troubles.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Have both the compact & fullsize in the 45. I also have the 40FS. Triggers smooth out after 1k rounds, not as smooth as having work done but that that depends on intended use of the gun. I'd use either in IDPA as is. Since I already loaded 45 for my 625s, I wanted to venture into the pistol world. Will definately recommend.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    If you need a trigger tune up locally I think Lloyd Landry can help with that. Shoot it first and see what you think. The pull on the M&P .45 is about a pound heavier than the other
    calibers in the line. Probable 6.5# to 7.0# pull when NIB.

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    Well I just got done firing a few rounds, about 75 and it is not as bad as I first thought. Hey this is a VERY sweet shooting gun I might add! I am going to like this one a lot! The trigger is a bit heavier than my 2 sigs but it isn't bad at all!
    I will burn some more ammo maybe later this evening and tomorrow, you have to ride these things to see how they handle ;)

Thanks again JBP!

KT

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I have one with the "desert tan" frame & the manuel ambi safety. It's a great gun & has never given me any trouble whatsoever- no malfuctions.
    I wish they'd have made it in a higher capacity than ten rounds, though...It makes you wonder if S&W produced it so it would stay within the framework of a potential future AWB that would affect hi cap magazines...I hope that's not the case.
    I still have to admit that I prefer my Glock 21, though....

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    The most accurate of the line up out of the box.

The only recurring issue/gripe is a stiffness in-and-out of battery, which results from a stiff extractor spring and solid claw-to-groove fit on the case itself. Never had an issue with mine causing problems, though you ought to give the ass end of the slide a tap after a press-check to be sure it's fully locked up. (If it really bugs you, you can take a half coil out of the pertinent spring without any reported loss in reliability, but it should be a non-issue. Not sure I've ever even heard/read of one being so stiff that it caused functional issues.)

Only problem I ran into was a warped mag body (from the factory) that eventually caused sufficient wear on the follower to allow it to slip past the slide stop when empty, and require said mag to be stripped from the gun instead of just dropping free. That's 1 of 12 mags I've run 1k rounds through, and an obviously anomaly. Unlike their 9 and 40 counterparts, the .45 mags are constructed in such a way to make this a possibility-- just something to keep your eyes on. (Check the follower for drag marks where it engages the slide stop. Mild are common; gouges could indicate a future problem.)

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    The Midsize .45 is the best non-1911 .45 in the market in my opinion. Add the DCAEK from Apex and you have a great gun.
    Is that b/c of round count? Or would you consider the M&P.45c the same?

It's the same gun right? just shorter mags/grip?

Just wondering.

I find the M&Pc's with that 'mag lip' to be very ergonomically comfortable.
    (With a standard mag, no, I don't like.)

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Apex FSS fixes all M&P trigger woes.

I had a .45 for a while, I didn't shoot it much, but the grip size was so close to a 9mm, it was difficult to tell the difference.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Is that b/c of round count? Or would you consider the M&P.45c the same?

It's the same gun right? just shorter mags/grip?

Just wondering.

I find the M&Pc's with that 'mag lip' to be very ergonomically comfortable.
    (With a standard mag, no, I don't like.)

No its a .45 thats marginally bigger than the Glock 19. It has a full grip. It holds 11 rounds and I found to be fast and accurate.

Top Bottom