22 ammo manufacturing question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    Strictly from a business standpoint, why wouldn't CCI, Remington, Winchester and the others just make one of the 22 bullets in their line up and just crank them out? It would reduce their cost plus they would save the cost of shutting down the line in order to reset up for a different bullet type. For instance CCI, why not just pump out the 22 Blazer ammo. The stuff sell out as fast as they are making it. Anyway, that was just something I thought about tonight. all opinions are welcome.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Just my $.02 but it all has to do with supply and demand. As long as they can control the supply, the demand will be there -- once supply is greater than demand their ability to control the market slips away. Think of car manufacturers with a bunch of cars at the dealerships having to reduce inventory at $10K below MSRP -- and then look at the cars in demand where the dealerships can put the price $5K above MSRP. What would you do? I know it sux - but we fueled this insanity.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    The profit margin on 22lr is smaller than on any other caliber. They make more money by making other rounds.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    They pretty much are doing that now.

Blazer Bricks(CCI)owned by ATK (the same company that owns Federal).
    Thunderbolts(REM)
    555's/333's(WIN)
    Champion Bulk(FED)

That's pretty much the ONLY rounds
    that are consistently showing up week after week.

More specialty .22 ammo(Stingers)
    have been non-existent for over a year now.

Last edited:

RIDER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2014
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Found some Remington 22lr HP Golden bullet 225 count box at clickammo.com pretty expensive for $38.55 ea. + shipping. They had 5 boxes when I checked. I agree with Hitman, if you see a deal on 22 ammo you probably just missed out on it.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    There are too many variations for the amount of equipment. .22 cb, short, long, long rifle but in long rifle, subsonic, standard, high velocity, hyper velocity, round nose, plated round nose, non-lead, plated hp, 60 gr subsonic, segmented, target varieties and shot then the .22mag is offering variety where there were few in years past 30 gr to 45 gr, fmj to shot and personal defense short barrel, taking from the .22 mag production are the varieties of .17 exception being the newest using the.27 cal nail gun cartridge. more offerings using the same production lines equal less of each offering.

Top Bottom