22 LR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    What is a good, accurate round for 22 LR. I have been using a lever Action Henry to shoot rabbits, but the bulk packed stuff isn't cutting it. CCI was the best years ago, but I see all kinds on the shelf.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    CCI standard velocity is really just about as good as most, but paying higher prices gets you fewer flyers and more consistent groups in competition. I've had good luck with Wolf Match Target or Extra in my Bergara B14r, but going to that level of round is twice or more than CCI SV. I get 10 shot groups roughly 20% better on average, but I'm not sure if for hunting the precision it is worth the cost. Maybe it is if you sight in once and don't shoot much after, where as we run through the rounds.

Above all, if you want more consistency, stay with the standard velocity rounds. Maybe try the 45g CCI suppressor HP ammo if you feel that would do better with rabbit sized animals? It's subsonic.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I, too, like the Wolf ME. In my experience, the best bulk ammo is the Federal Auto Match.

I shoot a lot of Aguilla SE as well. No where near as consistent at the Wolf ME, but a fraction of the cost.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    Sometimes I had to find what the rifle likes. I have a mossberg 44 that likes Remington Target. I had another that liked Remington golden bullet bulk.
    I saw a guy shoot asprins with bulk Federal 36gr HP, flipping them up in the air.

cjt0311

Pocket Ninja
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    alot of it is going to depend on your use.
    for accurate general plinking (or even cheap training) CCI - Standard Velocity is going to be your ticket. $6? for a box of 50 and tons of boxes in stock at Cabelas/walmart even
    i like the CCI green tag (competition) but i also shoot competitions so its sometimes more needed than a rabbit.
    also MINI-MAG would work well for a lever action.

i wouldnt get golden bullet/winchester333 or other bulk pack - get something with a lot number at the least to where there is at least a 1/2 chance there is some type of QC to duck some of the flyers. but you get what you pay for up to a certain level

TL;DR CCI SV is going to be your best price/quality match for your hunting use.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I've had good luck with anything CCI and Yellow Jackets in all 22 firearms. My CZ's don't seem to care what I put in them though and shoot nearly as well with the worst bulk stuff.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    With Rimfire ammo you typically have to do a lot of testing on your own for your particular rifle. The usual suspects are generally going to be CCI standard velocity or green tag, Wolf, SK, some people like Aguila, recently I’ve found Norma Tac 22 to be a great shooter.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom