First .22 rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    So,I want to buy a .22 for my 12 year old nephew's birthday...it's going to be his first. I've narrowed it down to the Marlin model 60 and the Ruger 10/22...that's it. I've owned both of these and still own a 10/22,so I'm going to be a little biased. I love both rifles and whatever rifle I give him will probably stay with him for a while. I am not buying a youth model...he's a big guy. Ok,ready,set...go!

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    10/22. Many accessories and aftermarket items or great by itself. But I have no opinion on the Marlin so take that with a grain of salt.

csbutton

Unreconstructed
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Model 60

Yesterday, I just gave my 14 year old son a Model 60 for his birthday. He loved it. Looks like we'll be out at Sherburne this weekend!

Both are fine guns, but I got him the Marlin because he liked the clean, classic looks and the tubular magazine. The Ruger, though, has an entire world of accessories and aftermarket toys. If he you think he would want to trick it out, the 10/22 might be the way to go. Either way, you can't go wrong. Hope he has a great birthday!

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    i would not overlook the Henry. The fact that it can shoot everything is a huge plus. If he will trick it out, than the 10/22 would be my choice.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    i would not overlook the Henry. The fact that it can shoot everything is a huge plus. If he will trick it out, than the 10/22 would be my choice.

+1....Being able to shoot shorts & CB shorts is a BIG plus is you're planning on using the iron sights....JMHO.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I love my 10/22 but am looking at the Savage Mark II in a bolt gun. The CMP offers one with target sights very reasonable.

WiLieR

I R Nooble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Madison, MS
    I have several 10/22s and a Model 60 as well. Both are excellent 22s and both do pretty well on the range. The biggest difference in them, at least to me, is that the 10/22 has got a huge aftermarket support. You can get anything and everything you ever dreamed of for a 10/22. The model 60 barely has support beyond factory replacement parts. If he might be interested in modifying the firearm to make it "his", then the 10/22 is the way to go.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    10/22 FTW w/ 30 round mag = Rabbit Killer

I've put over 15.5k through mine, and have the same Tasco 4x32 on it.

Plus he could make it look however he wanted with all the parts they make for it now days.

I've had a fair share of jams after 15.5k rounds, but it was always on the 550 Bulk Federal Ammo. Now I buy the Remington Bulk from Walmart can't rememebr it jamming on Rem. Ammo.

I shoot rabbits with the 32gr. CCI Stingers.

Last edited:

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    Either gun would make a fine starter rifle. I've had both and would go with the 10/22. It was just more reliable for me.

On a different note, call me old school but I'm partial to single shots or maybe a bolt action repeater for youngsters. I think it helps teach them patience and sound shooting skills from the outset.

gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    +1....Being able to shoot shorts & CB shorts is a BIG plus is you're planning on using the iron sights....JMHO.

i agree with this. also starting with an auto often times doesn't allow the shooter to learn the fundamentals, such as making your first shot count b/c it may be the only one you have. i'm partial towards a bolt or lever action .22 as a first gun myself.

automan71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    New Iberia
    I've had a gun-crush on a Marlin 981T for a while.

I have one and love it ...very accurate. Trigger needs a little work, but a great shooter, at a great price!

Love the fact it will shoot shorts, longs and long rifle....I shoot the CB shorts pretty often, and they are actually quieter than an air rifle.

Last edited:

automan71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    New Iberia
    I had a 10/22...it is a great rifle. So many aftermarket parts I couldn't decide how to build it...Lol! But the old Glenfield(marlin) model 60 would out shoot it any day. Sold the ruger to a buddy, and get to shoot it once in a while...for the money the model 60 is hard to beat, out of the box.

Last edited:

rustyduck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    near morgan city
    i had the marlin model 60, got tired of it jamming while hunting, slamed it against a tree, the scope fell off, then i threw it in the boat and it bounced into the bayou. i didn't try to find it.

i have a 10/22. it jams on everything. i clean clean clean. scrub the damn chamber, ect. even changed extractors. tried several mags. it even malfunctions on factory mags. failure to fire, failure to feed, failure to extract. you name it, my ruger 10/22 FAILS.:mad: fails:mad: fails:mad:

as someone else has said, the henry lever action .22lr. shoots anything. i had a couple failure to feed with the henry at first but after its broken in(1,000 rounds) i haven't had any issues. btw the rare failure to feed in a henry is easily fixed with pushing down on the round going in with the tip of your pinky. worked for me. plus it reminds me of my first daisy bb gun. and there is almost no cleaning. all the burnt powder goes out the barrel, not all over the action like a damn semi.

the henry is more accurate for hunting squirrels, that is fact. i can sit at the camp and shoot the henry all day without any hearing protection. not recommended with semiautos.

ofcmetz

Dark Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I think a pump, bolt, or lever actions are better ways to start personally. I learned to shoot on a bolt action and really makes you appreciate each shot more.

That being said, my first gun was a 10/22. I own 2 right now, and if you are going with a semi-auto then that's what I'd recommend. You are a nice uncle by the way. :D

I just bought my son his first gun. A savage CUB, single shot bolt action 22 with peep sights. Although he is a lot younger and smaller than your son.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    Growing up my dad gave me a Marlin 60, my best friends mom gave him a 10/22. Not a day went by that I didn't wish I had his gun, nuff said?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    My first gun was an old Marlin 60 my dad gave me when I was 10. Maybe they make them better now, but man that thing was crap. :rofl:

I also don't like the tube mag, since you can't really keep the gun down range while reloading. No telling how many times I swept mine and everyone else's head with the muzzle growing up...

Let's just say I loved my Marlin 60 (and still have it), but my son will be getting a 10/22 when he's older. ;)

Top Bottom