.22CB/Short in a .22LR?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Just like the title says. If let's say a semiauto pistol/rifle in .22LR were single loaded with a .22CB or .22Short, is it doable? Any issues? I gotta think it'd be ok, since I can't remember seeing any .22Short only weapon in, like, forever but .22CB's and Shorts are everywhere! I realize it probably would not cycle the action, which is ok. Any firsthand knowledge?

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I do it for kicks in my target 10/22, you have to hand cycle it but it works. if you have a really long barrel or something i'd worry about it getting stuck

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    it works, it feeds in my 10/22 okay, my savage mkii okay, etc

i'm actually in search of a cheap marlin model 60 because they shoot 22 long, LR and short.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I'll try them in my dedicated ar pistol and see what happens. They arent as fun in short barrels, but in a full size they are quiet as hell. It's fun to set up a 50yd target and lob them in like a mortar or something

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    All the ones i have shot aren't really capable of going through a 2 liter bottle at 25 feet, most of the bb guns I have owned are more powerful than the cb caps I have shot. Unless ya'll are shooting something I'm not what harm is there in shooting something less powerful than a bb guns while drinking?

Zeek

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Denham Springs
    I took down a crow with a CB long out of a Ruger revolver, and countless birds with CB longs out of a semi-auto rifle.

And like mentioned above, they are almost silent out of a bolt action rifle.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    if anyone has a source for CB Longs locally, let me know. All I can ever find is CB Shorts.

thought I saw some longs at cabelas the other day.

Are you sure about the model 60 will chamber shorts if you work the bolt manually? I have never tried it on mine, as it does say .22lr only on it, but just might dig it out and give it a go. I do know the old remington speedmasters will do all 3, just won't cycle the CB's, gotta manually work the bolt on the semi auto.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    i was pretty sure the tube fed 22s would feed 'em all. i'm at my BIL's and he has one but I don't have any shorts to test. :(

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    They worked great in the old stevens bolt gun I used to shoot (gave it to my brother). Not quite silencer level, but very good.
    They worked in my buckmark but were faily loud- not quite as standard velocity .22LR but close. I switched to the cheap eley's. They worked great and were accurate but left a LOT of lead in the chamber & barrel. After that I switched back to stingers and pulled out the ear plugs.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    So, lets say "hypothetically", I was to fire a CBshort from a .22 revolver or Sig Mosquito at ,oh I don't know, a rogue mutant zombie nutria that may or may not be causing me to lose property from roughly 20 yds I'd have enough to put it down?;)

And Spank, re: the Marlin 60. I still have the old 18 shot Mod.60 ( the new PC one is 14 IIRC,:rolleyes:) my dad gave me 25 years ago and it works like a champ. Great plinking gun! Been offered $$ for it before and glad I kept it.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    So, lets say "hypothetically", I was to fire a CBshort from a .22 revolver or Sig Mosquito at ,oh I don't know, a rogue mutant zombie nutria that may or may not be causing me to lose property from roughly 20 yds I'd have enough to put it down?;)

I must be/have been shooting the shorts and they weren't powerful enough to go through an empty 2 liter at 20 feet everytime. So I would say no on taking down a lovable creature like the Zephyrs mascot:D
    I'm sure others are going to say yes though, there are enough of them to give it a try

Doug

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Lake Charles, LA
    I have used CB shorts in my back yard to take out tree rats at modest range. Dispatches them with one shot and is quieter than an air rifle when shot in my single shot rifle.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    And Spank, re: the Marlin 60. I still have the old 18 shot Mod.60 ( the new PC one is 14 IIRC,:rolleyes:) my dad gave me 25 years ago and it works like a champ. Great plinking gun! Been offered $$ for it before and glad I kept it.
    Yeah, I think it's 14. They have 'em at Walmart for 147 (or 177 for stainless) but I want to try to find a used one. :o

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rmsize
    Top Bottom