Wheel Weights Into Bullets?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JustinR

Zombie Hunter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Lafayette
    I've heard it can be done easily, but no one has bothered to explain HOW. Do I just melt them, pour them into a mold, lube and press? Is there some other metal that needs to be added to them in the melting pot? Need some help, as I'll be picking up about half of a six foot truck bed load of them this weekend!

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    It's a little more involved than that.
    Check out - -www.ladc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm
    Personalized lessons will cost you some of them weights/lol

leeshall

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Suburban NOLA
    DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!!:eek3:
    Be careful, some of todays wheelweights are made of zinc. If you get any of them into the melt, you will ruin it for bullets. The alloy just won't fill out correctly in the mold. Check the castboolits web-site for more information.
    Commodore Lee
    Distinguished Rifleman #1652 (1998)

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Be careful, some of todays wheelweights are made of zinc. If you get any of them into the melt, you will ruin it for bullets. The alloy just won't fill out correctly in the mold. Check the castboolits web-site for more information.
    Commodore Lee

Myth, the Zinc used in the new wheel weights melts at a much higher temprature than lead, They usually float to the top intact and can be skimmed off.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I've used 50lb and bigger lead bars in setting up race cars, I wonder if you can still get them. That would make a bunch of bullets. :)

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Commodore Lee

Damn Lee,

You are #1652 in 1998 and I earned #1827 in 2007. That is 175 civilian distinguished badges in 9 years. Those things seem pretty hard to come by. :D

Dan

leeshall

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Suburban NOLA
    The castboolits web-site contains numerous dire warnings about zinc wheel weights. The collective wisdom and experience available on that site is immense. Check out the information on that web-site and make up your own mind. Remember, when (if?:confused:) the zinc gets into the melt, it cannot be seperated any more than you can take the water out of the bourbon & branch water.
    Commodore Lee

leeshall

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Suburban NOLA
    To Dan,
    Yep. That's why the Distinguished Badges and Presidents 100 Tabs are so coveted. They don't just toss 'em out like Mardi Gras doubloons. It took me 7 years, 5 rifle barrels, wheelbarrows full of ammunition and many, many miles on the old Volvo to earn my Badge.
    Commodore Lee

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    The castboolits web-site contains numerous dire warnings about zinc wheel weights. The collective wisdom and experience available on that site is immense. Check out the information on that web-site and make up your own mind. Remember, when (if?:confused:) the zinc gets into the melt, it cannot be seperated any more than you can take the water out of the bourbon & branch water.
    Commodore Lee

Keep the melt around 700-800 degrees and they will indeed float to the surface.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Keep the melt around 700-800 degrees and they will indeed float to the surface.

correct, They allo the zinc wheelweights with something that raises the melting temprature to where they are not compatable with lead. I think they do that b/c pure zinc doesnt make a good wheelweight. I Find them every so often in my buckets of WW and have thrown them in the pot, never had a problem.

I think the problem with zinc mixed with the lead was from some kind of battery lead or other lead alloy which caused all the problems.

One other thing have you ever ever heard of zinc bullets? I got some in some old reloading components, thought they were lead but would not melt in my pot or with a plumbing torch. They would only sweat with heat from a cutting torch. I threw them away, but now wish I would have kept them for the novelty.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom