When is the Next 3 Gun Match?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    What the title says and would you be so kind to make a list of must haves at a 3 gun match. Do I need a tactical vest? What type of rifles, shotguns, pistols, are acceptable? Thanks

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    No tactical vest required. Minimum price of admission: you will need a centerfire pistol (3-4 mags) with a holster that will retain and cover the trigger guard), at least two (three's better) mag pouches, shotgun (pump or semi...practice loading because that's as important as the shooting) with birdshot and maybe a handful of slugs (shell carriers such as a sidesaddle, armband or belt carriers are a BIG help but not absolutely necessary if you don't mind fumbling with your pockets) and a centerfire rifle (no steel core ammo when steel's involved and it usually is) with interchangeable mags (usually AR in .223/5.56) though an AK or even a Ruger Mini would work (bring two or three mags, minimum).

The Wongs usually run a sidematch with one or both long guns at most of the first Saturday matches in Tangi. Otherwise, monthly matches in Woolmarket, Miss., that many local guys attend.

Unfortunately, 3-gun matches here in south Louisiana are few and far between, though there's talk of changing that.

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    Tomorrow in Popularville, MS. 9am start.

You do not need a "tactical" vest.
    Any "battle" rifle will do. Ar's are most popular. Mini 14', Ak's, SKS' M1A etc. are all good to go.
    Same goes for shotgun, pump or semi auto. Extended magazine's not required but is nice to have.
    Any centerfire handgun will do.

You'll need a way to carry extra magazines, both handgun and rifle. You will also need a way to carry shotgun ammo. If you do not have anything someone will almost certainly loan you some to try out. Or you can use your pockets.

I know it is last minute, but if you can make it to Poplarvill tomorrow it will give you a good idea what to expect. Hell, bring your guns and come shoot.

There is also a 3 gun match on the 3rd Saturday every month in WoolMarket, Ms.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I can't make it tomorrow I will however be at the October 17th one 99.9%. How much ammo should I bring for each gun. I only own one shotgun a saiga 12 shotgun is that acceptable? I don't know if a magazine reloading semi-auto shotgun is ok. If I have a friend who wants to participate and doesn't own one of the guns can he use mine? If you had a tactical vest would you wear it or do you have time in between the stages to put something different on your belt? Do I need slings for the rifle and shotgun? Man do I sounds like a 7yr old on a mountain dew high or what?

Last edited:

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    Your welcome with your Saiga. If you have a vest and want to use it, feel free to do so. You usually have enough time to move things around on your belt. Your friend can use your guns.

I usually bring 75-100 rds of handgun. 100-150 rds for rifle, 50 rds of shotgun (birdshot) and 10-15 slugs. We seldom shoot that much ammo, but I like to have extra in case of a re-shoot.

A note on ammo. Please be certain that your rifle ammo is NOT steel core. (It damages the steel targets). Also no steel shot in the shotguns. (increases the ricochet factor).

Of course eye and ear protection are mandatory.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    A 3 gun cart is nice to have, wagon, anything to carry all the stuff, i just finished mine about 10 min ago. used jogging stroller off craigslist

Golden Dragon

Stay Alert.... Stay Alive
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    171   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Mandeville
    I can't make it tomorrow I will however be at the October 17th one 99.9%. How much ammo should I bring for each gun. I only own one shotgun a saiga 12 shotgun is that acceptable? I don't know if a magazine reloading semi-auto shotgun is ok. If I have a friend who wants to participate and doesn't own one of the guns can he use mine? If you had a tactical vest would you wear it or do you have time in between the stages to put something different on your belt? Do I need slings for the rifle and shotgun? Man do I sounds like a 7yr old on a mountain dew high or what?

Bring what you have and if you need something at the match just ask

some one will have extra or let you use theirs.(mags,mag pouch etc)

The main thing is to be safe and have fun!

G.D.

Last edited:

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I get to shoot all three guns right pistol either full size 1911 (if I can find ammo) or a glock 19 , saiga 12, AR15 kit I put together with stag lower and M&A upper.

I have only shot my saiga 12 once (probably eight rounds to see if it would cycle) so they might want to bust out the hour glass and set aside the beeper timer thing.

Haven't even seen if the cheap red dot I have works and/or is accurate yet so it ought to be fun times.

I will tell you what though I am super excited about this.......

Last edited:

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    That is the best gun cart. A work of art.

Thanks for resurecting this two year old thread :doh:

What the title says and would you be so kind to make a list of must haves at a 3 gun match. Do I need a tactical vest? What type of rifles, shotguns, pistols, are acceptable? Thanks

I appreciate everyone putting up with me.

If you pee on the carpet, it is a 5 second penatly.

LOL

Top Bottom