Best air rifle for a 10yo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rynola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2024
    metairie
    My son who’s very well versed in shooting guns just has a sensitivity to sound and have tried every ear protection produced and they work but think it’s more of the reaction to the anticipation of the noise/recoil.
    Not looking to spend $1k on a good air rifle but something that could fold a squirrel or a bunny. Any suggestions?

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have absolutely no specific recommendations, but given the circumstances, you will likely need to "invest" in a PCP airgun with a sound moderation device at the end, or just go for target shooting. I had a Benjamin air rifle a long time ago, and from personal experience, what us kids did to squirrels was cruel and unusual punishment. They don't have the power to hunt responsibly. And Benjamin was the "cat's azz" back in those days. Now if you wanted to go for .22 with CCI Quiet or even CB caps, those are fine for squirrels. I'd recommend SV quiet or HVHP shorts or better for rabbit. The HV shorts are still sub in my experience out of a rifle. The PCP airguns seem to approximate the power of SV 22 ammo.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Daisy model 1938 Red Ryder BB gun ... I still shoot one ...
    If he can't shoot the Red Ryder ...
    Then try archery ... Bow and arrow , very quite , no recoil !
    Gary

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    I had/have a Benjamin .22 that worked very well on squirrels, rabbits and lots of other creepy, crawly, fly-ie creatures.
    Yes ... You are right ! I had forgot about the Benjamin Pump !
    Looks like Benjamin still makes a Pump 22 cal. Air Rifle and they were accurate , quite and recoil free and still 22 cal.
    Gary

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    My son who’s very well versed in shooting guns just has a sensitivity to sound and have tried every ear protection produced and they work but think it’s more of the reaction to the anticipation of the noise/recoil.
    Not looking to spend $1k on a good air rifle but something that could fold a squirrel or a bunny. Any suggestions?
    There are plenty of options in the air rifle world...but have you considered a suppressed 10/22 lr? Or even a 10/22 with subsonic ammo? I've got a Ruger 10/22 Takedown that is sooooo much fun to shoot with a suppressor.

As for air rifles, the age-old Benjamin Pump is a classic. If you're looking for something a bit more modern, take a look at the Gamo Swarm Magnum... this thing is an absolute BEAST.

fng

Rating - 100%
    23   0   1
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    There are plenty of options in the air rifle world...but have you considered a suppressed 10/22 lr? Or even a 10/22 with subsonic ammo? I've got a Ruger 10/22 Takedown that is sooooo much fun to shoot with a suppressor.

As for air rifles, the age-old Benjamin Pump is a classic. If you're looking for something a bit more modern, take a look at the Gamo Swarm Magnum... this thing is an absolute BEAST.
    I had a similar Gamo rifle growing up. Have you shot that model? Mine was probably close to as loud as subsonic 22lr without a can. That was over a decade ago though now. I’d be willing to be they can make them pretty quite.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    22lr suppresses can be pretty dang quiet. You can make a 10/22 function quieter than it comes from the factory but if you want something “movie quiet” a bolt action 22lr with subsonics comes pretty close.

45acp or subsonic 300blk may be options as well depending on how sound sensitive he is.

Good luck.

Top Bottom