.257 Weatherby Opinions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deadidunn

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Hineston, LA
    I've been reading up on the .257 Weatherby and found several rifles I like. Does anyone have one? What is your opinion on it? Does the rifle overkill on whitetail at close ranges?

From all the things I've read, I've gotten mixed opinion on close shots, however it has rave reviews on its flat trajectory and is used for taking large game such as elk. Looking over the info I've seen, I think it will be a great caliber to have in the arsenal, but I wanted to get your opinions.

Thanks!

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Probably won't get the factory claimed ballistics but then again most all calibers won't either. You can shoot a heavier bullet to slow it down some for closer range game. A 25-06 probably gets close to the same actual velocity using a 24" barrel. A 257 needs a 26" barrel to get close to factory claimed velocity. It is a cool caliber and not found too often like a 264 Winchester Magnum or 6.5 Remington Magnum.

bayouboy81

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Zachary
    My dad has the weatherby .257 and he shoots whitetail with it. I think he shoots the heavier grain bullets. (125gr I believe). Shoots awesome groups. My uncle gave him this gun and has killed many deer with it using 90gr bullets.

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    From people I know that have hunted with one they say the effect on deer is very impressive. I think I heard somewhere it was Roy Weatherby's favorite. If you have a magnum itch that needs to be scratched it would be a good choice.

dtrice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    Metarie, LA
    Weatherby ammo is usually pretty expensive, although you do get norma brass if you want to reload. Have you considered 25-06 or 257 roberts?

deadidunn

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Hineston, LA
    Yeah dtrice, my original bug for .257 was the Roberts. I will still probably purchase a Roberts within the next year or two. Reading about the flat trajectory and ballistics of the Weatherby impressed me to the point of wanting one. I will reload for it, if I purchase factory ammo, it will be only because I can't find the reloading components I need. Currently I can't find available brass, except on gunbroker and I prefer not to buy stuff on there. I've run down everything else. After some research and price checking, I'm going to get the Remington CDL SF in 257 weatherby mag.

syrupmaker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2013
    valdosta ga
    I've had a .257 weatherby for about 35 years and have killed many deer with it. Most of the time they will go straight down. I don't hunt with it any more as it's my son's favorite. The only problem I ever had was using a 100 gr. ballistic tip (I reload everything) and shooting a deer at approx. 75 yards. The bullet blew up just inside the chest cavity and looked like he had been shot with bird shot, but it was a clean kill. Since then I started using Nosler partition 100 gr. bullets with good results. I think it is a very good caliber.

LSUSMC

Segreant
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Prairieville
    I hunt with a custom built .257 Roberts Ackley and have a friend who hunts with a .257 Weatherby. They are both awesome calibers and are perfect for anything from varmint to elk with the right load. The Roberts/Ackley are both clean killers on whitetail, the Weatherby seems to do more a little damage but it is no worse than a .227 or .30 cal. I recommend neck shots so that damage and finding a wounded animal is never a problem.

crazy white boy

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    St. Charles Parish Hahnville
    I have a Weatherby Vanguard in the 257 Weatherby Magnum and love it. I buy my ammo at Cabelas and shoot the 100 grain PSP Weatherby ammo and get them for 39.00 per box. No worse then Federal Premiums for my 7 mag or 300. It is a great caliber with minimal recoil.

Top Bottom