260, 308, 243, 6.5 creedmoor

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I will be rebarreling my savage 110 when i get my tax refund. I am considering one of the above. My rifle is currently setup in 3006, so bolt face wont be a problem. I am leaning toward 308 since i already have a set of forster bench rest dies in 308. I am not against buying new dies if i need to. Other calibers in consideration are 260 rem, 243 win, and 6.5 creedmoor. The rifle will mainly shoot steel at 300 yards, and the occasional 600 yd shoot. Recommendations?

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    .260 is a great cartridge for hunting and target. The .308 is also but ammo is tough to fid right now. I don't know about the .260.
    .243 is also very flat shooting and seems to be unaffected by all this craziness. Check with ritten on the barrels and his take on your question.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Depends on what you mean by 600yd shoots. One advantage to .308 is it allow you to shoot F-Class TR, if you are talking about shooting matches. That is provided you meet the other rules like weight, etc.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    260 remington and 6.5 Creedmoor are so close that it really doesn't matter which one you choose. Since you reload I would lean towards the .260 just because you can get Lapua brass. Both of these will really shine with a 24" or longer barrel.

.243 is a great round and is cheaper to reload. Can you say 115 D-tacs?? Very high BC and can be very accurate. The 6mm's are the choice of F-Open and benchrest shooters for the most part.

And of course there are reasons everybody has a .308, it just works. It is a less efficient cartridge than the others mentioned, but it's a great all-arounder. I hunt with a .308 so that if I forget my ammo at home I can pick some up at any big-box store or gun shop and not miss a hunt. I was also able to build it with a 18.5" barrel and not be at a big loss for velocity and still keep the gun compact. It will open the door to shooting F-T/R but you could always shoot in F-Open with one of the other calibers.

If it were me, I'd go .260.....again. :)

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I love the 260 and 6.5 Creedmoor and like said above....they are so close it dont matter what you choose. I went with the 260 because of the brass also.

Top Bottom