Lowdown on Sig P6 (P225)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Thinkin bout pickin up one of these. Anybody have experience with this gun? Reliability,dependability,accuracy,operation,takedown and maintenance? I've got a line on mags so that's not a problem. I'm just looking for first hand experience...likes,dislikes. Ever use this gun at a match? Size comprable to...?
    You get the picture. Let's here what you have to say.

Last edited:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I have a P6 from the early 80's. I've heard that they don't feel JHP's. Mine feeds Gold Dots fine. It's very accurate. It only cost $300. Great gun for the price.

Dave

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Thinkin bout pickin up one of these. Anybody have experience with this gun? Reliability,dependability,accuracy,operation,takedown and maintenance? I've got a line on mags so that's not a problem. I'm just looking for first hand experience...likes,dislikes. Ever use this gun at a match? Size comprable to...?
    You get the picture. Let's here what you have to say.

Great gun.. I've had several.

BTW, that gun is not legal to shoot at USPSA matches. It's NOT on the approved gun list! Just because it has P-6 on the slide disqualifies it...

Gumbo

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    If I had to guess without any knowledge of competition shooting, I'd say because its a police surplus gun so designated by the P6 marking instead of the same gun available to civilian sales as the 225. I can't imagine why it being police surplus would disqualify it though.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Like Dave said, the early 80's late 70's have a steep feed ramp angle which makes feeding HP's somewhat unreliable. The angle was relaxed somewhere around 84-85 IIRC. My 9/79 would FTF Gold Dot's every 3-4 rounds. I took my dremel with a polisher to the ramp. Now I've put ~ 300 rounds of HP's through it and not one single FTF. Great pistol for the price. The wife loves it and it has become her nightstand piece.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    If it meets the DAO and all the other basic Production division requirements, the only reason it's not on the list is because the manufacturer didn't go through the bother to submit it for review and approval after 2,000 were made.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Well, seeing as it is, except for some variations in the hammer, identical to the P225, one wonders...

Makes no difference...approval is model specific, not feature specific. New name, new model, new approval required. If it's by superseded by newer models in the line up, no business reason for Sig to bother.

Edited to add: I'm always interested in some education on the differences with Sigs...I'm the first to admit I'm not dialed into the specifics of the various models because you see 'em at USPSA events, but they're relatively rare. That may change now that Sig has signed up Max Michel Jr. and is taking an interest in raising its USPSA profile.

I do know enough to check that they are fully decocked after "Make Ready" ;)

Last edited:

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    The reason for this questionaire is because I still have a problem with polymer pistols......I don't like em. Doesn't matter what brand or caliber,I hate the feel of polymer,especially when I sweat. I own one last piece of tupperware and it's a G19. I'm leaning more towards the Sigs and 3rd gen Smiths. Yes,the G19 will more than likely hit the market soon.

Top Bottom