Suarez International Designated Marksman Course

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtcur3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Thibodaux, LA
    We have invited Suarez International to teach their Designated Marksman Rifle Course for us. The class will be taught at Southern Shooting Center, in Thibodaux, LA, February 12-14, The Designated Marksman Rifle Course is a highly condensed version of the exact course taught by the US Army to our soldiers. It is taught by an actual Squad Designated Marksman with recent deployment experience. The US Army's course is designed to hone a Soldier's ability to accurately shoot at distances to 300 meters and beyond. We will do likewise in this course.

As part of the training, attendes will learn caveman ballistics, hone fundamentals, learn range estimation, shooting small and partially concealed targets to 300 meters, CQB with Designated Marksman Rifle, fundamentals of combat rifle marksmanship and other operational issues.

This link will give you more details and allow you to sign up for the class.
    http://www.suarezinternationalstore.com/april10-112010-fightingrifleskills-phoenixaz-1.aspx

Best regards,

Bill Hickman

Last edited by a moderator:

John Chambers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    BearIT,

I'm the instructor of the DMR course. I like to keep classes around 20 students, just from a class management standpoint. That being said, I can make things work with more, if necessary. :)

To all: If you have any questions, please ask!

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Are you banned at Southern Shooting Center, in Thibodaux, LA too?:run:

Ugh no, that was Todd Green, who is in a pantheon of instructors all his own. :o

I think Spanky was too but got it worked out.

However, I would venture to say without officially being told hat I am banned from any future Todd Green classes. But then again, he "already got paid, so....." :mamoru::mamoru:

FYI to the host, if you are not aware of the "use of air fee" incident, you might want to get with Spanky to make sure you don't get caught in a trick bag.

I'm just sayin..

Last edited:

John Chambers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Note to any who plan to attend. If you have a military bolt action from WW II or earlier, bring it and approx. 40 rounds of ammo. We will be having an informal competition and we will be awarding the first "Simo Häyhä" award to honor skill with an iron sighted bolt action rifle.

Is this the ideal tool for this job? No, but as we all know it is the man who counts!

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    So what is the informal bolt gun competition course of fire? Sounds fun.

A number of my friends provided SDM training for NCOs (the "train the trainer" program) and found it to be really worthwhile and fulfilling. Is this going to be the same basic course or will you be going into other areas?

Dan

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    Why are these thing always on holidays... the last one I wanted to go to was on a Mothers day...

John Chambers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    I'll answer in order:

Fastmover: We still have some slots available, come on out!

dzelenka: The course is similar to the 1st Army SARG course, with a lot of additions that my team and I added for continuing and team training. Without giving any specifics, the Simo course will be field positions at a variety of ranges. Little bit of movement will be thrown in for good measure.

SKYWLKR: Come on, if they truly love you, they will understand that lead Valentines are important. Bring them out too! :)

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Students must have basic combat rifle handling skills. If you have questions, please ask ahead of time.

Could you define the above a bit. I have no formal training, but I can safely operate and field strip an AR. Is there something beyond that we should be familiar with.

Also, is there a specific sling you'd recommend, and would a mil-dot scope be a wise choice for this course.

John Chambers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Tulse,

Can you run your rifle safely in a dynamic environment? I.E. move with it safely around other shooters and reload without being told to, clear malfunctions, etc? If you have participated in organized competition I am sure you will be fine. I always have folks perform dry runs a few times on the more dynamic drills just so everyone gets comfortable and confident.

Send me an e-mail at M98Mauser@hotmail.com if you have any other questions.

Edited to add:

Mil-Dot scopes are useful, if you ran run the mil conversion formula, in your head, on the fly. Honestly, for this discipline, you are better off learning the reticle subtension methods and other cave-man range estimation methods we will be working with in the class. Slings are easy: a long 2 point sling that will fit around you and your gear in a transtion drill.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom