question for 1911 carry

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrmojo32

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Denham Springs Louisiana
    I do not carry but I have always wondered about this question. For those of you who carry the 1911, what way do you carry it? By this is mean for instance do you carry with a loaded mag and one in the chamber and the hammer not cocked? Or maybe hammer back and safety engaged?

I am a noob on carry so I am sorry if this sounds like a stupid question.

THanks.

Paul Gomez

www.Gomez-Training.com
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Baton Rouge, More or Less
    Be Like Mike...Hammer, that is....Carry with the hammer down on a live round and if you think you might need it, thumb it to half-****.

sorry...couldn't resist. ;)

1911s should be carried with a round in the chamber, hammer at full ****, thumb safety engaged and full magazine in place. Manipulation of the thumb safety is a core skill when it comes to carrying a 1911.

Turn Key

Stuck up North
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I do not carry but I have always wondered about this question. For those of you who carry the 1911, what way do you carry it? By this is mean for instance do you carry with a loaded mag and one in the chamber and the hammer not cocked? Or maybe hammer back and safety engaged?

Hey mrmojo32, I don't know ya' bro but --

Let's start with a very good belt & holster first. I'm not sure how far along you are with CCW but get a good belt - a double thick leather, a few notches larger than you wear, for IWB carry - (I have had great luck with 'Kramer' belt company products). Then a good Kydex (or leather) holster. I highly recommend AIWB (abdomen inside the waistband), carrying at 1:00 - 2:00 position.

On carrying a concealed handgun in battery, (cocked and locked), is the way to go. I personally carry the Glock pistol, with a round chambered in the barrel. All safeties on the Glock, (3), are internal in the gun and built into the trigger. Not manual like on your 1911 which can be flipped on and off by the operator.

So, if your are an experienced shooter, familiar with the 1911 enough to feel confident carrying a chambered round, go for it bro!

In a defensive gun fight, your report to your first shot time will be greatly enhanced with a weapon loaded and ready to shoot the BG to the ground.

I kinda got off topic with my reply, but everyone can use some refreshers now and then.

The Best

TK

mrmojo32

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Denham Springs Louisiana
    Thanks for all the good information Turn Key. Don't worry about refreshers because I am completly new to CCW or any style of carry whatsoever. I do feel very comfortable with my 1911. I bought Bill Wilson's book in 1993 when I got my 1911 and did many of the mods and I do shoot it alot. The pistol has the big Bo-Mar sight and an extended safety so I was thinking maybe some smoothing down of the edges might be in order.

Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

mrmojo32

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Denham Springs Louisiana
    Yes I do intend to carry and you are right I have had no formal training whatsoever but I would very much like to attend some classes and do whatever it takes to do it right.

'1911 "platform" is one of the least forgiving of operator error.' This statement is why I was asking the question. Maybe I should think about a different pistol for a carry situation.

Why would a person "troll" for information here if they were not genuine? Were they really an anti-gun type?

LSP972... Thank you for your comments. I did not find them harsh or condescending. It is a serious subject.

THanks again.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Nothing like carrying a .45 in a damn good holster.

Tucker Gunleather:

rlcompanyusa_2085_27075323

or even this one...

rlcompanyusa_2081_3990384

Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I carry a 5" 1911 every day, condition 1 (cocked, locked, round in chamber). It is nearly second nature to flip the safety off on a draw for me. I can't even hold the gun in a position to fire it without that safety being off - my thumb ALWAYS rides on top of the safety. I will echo what other people have said though...it takes practice.

I worried a little, when I first started carrying it, about the safety being flicked off by bumping into the things or moving around and I've found that it takes a lot to get that safety to move - it's not going anywhere until I make it. After a few days of carrying it and checking and re-checking the safety, I stopped worrying about that.

mrmojo32

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Denham Springs Louisiana
    "my thumb ALWAYS rides on top of the safety" Same here Baldrick...The way I shoot my thumb does the same and I can't do it any other style.

THank you everyone for your comments. And thank you for the link Speedracer. :)

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    "my thumb ALWAYS rides on top of the safety" Same here Baldrick...The way I shoot my thumb does the same and I can't do it any other style.

THank you everyone for your comments. And thank you for the link Speedracer. :)

Which thumb -- the one on your shooting hand or the one on your support hand ?

mrmojo32

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Denham Springs Louisiana
    10-4 to that recommendation LSP 972. I found that Gordon Hutchinson is doing a class at Bass Pro on the 30th of next month and I live right around the corner from there. Is that a good class to go to?

buddy_fuentes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Maurepas, LA (Diversion Canal)
    Be Like Mike...Hammer, that is....Carry with the hammer down on a live round and if you think you might need it, thumb it to half-****.
    sorry...couldn't resist. ;)

1911s should be carried with a round in the chamber, hammer at full ****, thumb safety engaged and full magazine in place. Manipulation of the thumb safety is a core skill when it comes to carrying a 1911.

You scared me at first! Here I am on CHRISTmas morning drinking my coffee and reading the forum.........BAM you woke me up.

Cocked, locked, and loaded to the brim. I've carry one for many years like that with no problems.

By the way, there are no dumb questions when you are trying to gain knowledge.

Merry CHRISTMAS!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1bullseyebum
    Top Bottom