question for 1911 carry

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • legg86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Tickfaw, LA
    Gordon is a good guy, got my CCW with him. I didn't need to take the class (M doesnt have to, just go do the paperwork lol), but I am very glad I did. You won't get a whole lot of firearm training, you'll get mostly use of force stuff. The actual training of your weapon is left up to you. I highly suggest it, and using a different carry pistol. i carry an HK USPc, but Kimber makes some nice smaller 1911s.

legg86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Tickfaw, LA
    Because that monster of a rear sight could snag on crap, or if you have a problem and need to clear your weapon fast it could tear up your support hand, the front sight on that particular 1911 isnt big, bright, and an attention grabber (just a personal opinion there), and the whole piece looks a bit large to stuff in your pants.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Cocked and locked. Get a good holster and belt. Carry an extra mag or two. One thing I like about the 1911, you can keep your thumb over the hammer when holstering. Get some instruction on presentation technique and perform it about 1000 times, each time flicking the safety off as the weapon is being pulled.

Good Luck!

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Because that monster of a rear sight could snag on crap, or if you have a problem and need to clear your weapon fast it could tear up your support hand, the front sight on that particular 1911 isnt big, bright, and an attention grabber (just a personal opinion there), and the whole piece looks a bit large to stuff in your pants.

While I think a Novak styled carry sight would be better. His sights look dehorned a little. If he's using a good holster, I'm not convinced that the sights will factor in by snagging.

I guess I'm saying, I agree, but I don't think it will be that big of an issue. He'll figure it out in 1000 presentations or so.

As far as size, the only issue with a Government model is weight (if it's an issue), they are easy to conceal otherwise. I'm fat, have no ass and my snubbie pulls my pants down just as easy as a 1911. :mamoru: Many of the shorter barrel models are just shorter barrels which doesn't help the concealability cause at all (unless you don't IWB). I say stick with the Government Model.

legg86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Tickfaw, LA
    To each his own, definitely lol. I dont have any 1911's, so cant really say much on their concealability other than they're Big. But, I guess they're not any bigger than my G17, and I IWB that sometimes with no issues, so ya maybe it works good. Whatever suits his fancy, but you're absolutely right about working on presentation, at Least 1k.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    To each his own, definitely lol. I dont have any 1911's, so cant really say much on their concealability other than they're Big. But, I guess they're not any bigger than my G17, and I IWB that sometimes with no issues, so ya maybe it works good. Whatever suits his fancy, but you're absolutely right about working on presentation, at Least 1k.

They're big, but the only thing hard to conceal (Talking IWB) is the butt of the pistol. It's not the thickness, it's the length of the butt. Still, lots of people do it without problems.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Get a few J-Frames, Glocks, CZs, HKs etc while your at it. That way we can all agree with your carry weapon..... depending on which one it is today. :D

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    BBQ... I can see from your avatar you are a 1911 man. What model would you suggest?

Well, there are a whole lot of choices. Depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. There are also people who don't mind stuff like external extractors and those that do.

For a cheapie $400ish, I like Rock Island Armory. Solid guns, but gunsmiths may or may not work on them. They have a GI model and a Tactical, the Tac has a beavertail, and it's not much more. For a couple $100 more, you can get into the SA GI or Mil-Spec (go Mil-Spec), but they don't have a beavertail.

Taurus makes some and well, you have to do alot of research on one before you buy. Some folks hate Taurus 1911s for one reason or another and there are many who are just on the bandwagon. Look for legitimate complaints and ditch any posts that don't have factual info. There are some who report really good experiences with them, and some have performed well in testing. The ones I've handled have been okay. I've not bought one, I like their revolvers, but not too sure I'd buy one or not. I'd test it a before before I relied on it.

For a general production $800 gun, I like the Springfield Armory loaded as it's a bit more traditional in design (internal extractor, no swartz type system {uses a Ti firing pin and heavy spring to pass CA drop tests}), but I really like having a beavertail. Non-beavertail guns will eat a hole in my hand. A little more will get you a STI trojan, but they generally come with target sights (I think you can get them with carry sights, but I've not seen one. Smith and Wesson has some nice ones if you can get past the external extractor.

You've got Para, but I have a hard time finding good reports on them. The ones I've handled (but not shot) seemed fine, but I see lots of reports with issues and not a lot of praise. I think their older models seemed better, but they just moved, so there is legitimate concern for quality issues.

Colt - Well it's a Colt. They can make a good gun, sometimes it can be hit or miss between an okay gun and a good one. Older guns are completely different though. I don't usually consider them because of other offerings for a better price

Kimber - kind of like Taurus. I've shot some good ones, but I know two people who have jamming problems (one with a ultra and the other with an SIS). I think they probably make a good gun, and I'd probably own one, but they don't get lots of love these days.

For some more ($1300-$1500ish), you can get a Lawman, SA TRP and maybe a Dan Wesson Valor (they've been raising their prices).

Fusion has some nice looking ones, and they will custom build you one for not alot of money. The guy running the company is the guy who was running Dan Wesson before CZ bought them. Never handled one, but I might would consider taking a leap here.

After that, you've got Baer, Brown, and Wilson..... just have some money.

You could also consult with a custom builder, but custom built guns aren't generally easy on the wallet.

Hope this helps.

mrmojo32

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Denham Springs Louisiana
    Well, mine is a Colt and I bought it new in the box in 92 and bought all Wilson Combat parts and had them put on but as you can see it does not really seem carry friendly.

I was thinking mostly different sights and dehorned but with all the mods my current one has. I would love another Colt with Wilson Combat mods as I have put several thousand rounds through mine with no problems.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Well, mine is a Colt and I bought it new in the box in 92 and bought all Wilson Combat parts and had them put on but as you can see it does not really seem carry friendly.

I was thinking mostly different sights and dehorned but with all the mods my current one has. I would love another Colt with Wilson Combat mods as I have put several thousand rounds through mine with no problems.

The only carry problem I see is the rear sight and I'm not sure it's that big of a problem.

A Colt would probably be fine. Not sure what parts I'd change, but if someone is going to do that for you, they'll probably check the gun out. Loyd Landry is really good with 1911s. He tweaked mine so it was happy with the 200 grain SWCs. It was fine with the HPs and ball ammo, but it didn't like the SWCs. Seems fine now.

legg86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Tickfaw, LA
    have you ever thought about keeping that one in your truck, and having a pocket pistol (kahr, glock, baby deagle, whatever) simply as protection so you can Get to it safely? I'm sure i'll get flamed for this lol, but that's my tactic. I use an HK upsc (brick) with no spare mag just so I can get back to my truck where my heavy hitter (Ar) is. I would use something smaller lol, but thats all I got :P. If you have a bit of a budget, it might be more cost effective to buy a small frame auto or revolver on the cheap just to make sure you can get to your really nice one. It's also more likely you'll carry something that weighs next to nothing every day. I dunno, just something else to think about as you start your CCW journey : )

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    have you ever thought about keeping that one in your truck, and having a pocket pistol (kahr, glock, baby deagle, whatever) simply as protection so you can Get to it safely? I'm sure i'll get flamed for this lol, but that's my tactic. I use an HK upsc (brick) with no spare mag just so I can get back to my truck where my heavy hitter (Ar) is. I would use something smaller lol, but thats all I got :P. If you have a bit of a budget, it might be more cost effective to buy a small frame auto or revolver on the cheap just to make sure you can get to your really nice one. It's also more likely you'll carry something that weighs next to nothing every day. I dunno, just something else to think about as you start your CCW journey : )

I don't like keeping one in the car when I don't have too. Cars are just too easy to break into. I do switch between a J-Frame clone and a 1911. I generally just carry a reload or two for either. If I need an AR, well I'm just screwed anyways. :rofl:

Top Bottom