3" Smith and Wesson .357 availability

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    So, it would seem that I have unnecessarily expensive tastes.

I've thought for a while that the next revolver I want to get is a Smith .357 K-Frame, like a m66 or m19. I really like the way that the 3inch barrels look and the overall size of the gun (2inch is too small for a .357 imho and 4inch is kind of long for concealment). The only ones they seem to make these days with 3" barrels are the 686 on the L frame and the model 60 on the J frame.

Looking into the used gun market, it seems that the three inch barrels are the rarest they make. This is upsetting. Every one that I have seen on gunbroker or whatever is going for a grand or so.

I don't have the money right now, but does anyone know of a way I could get my hands on a 3 inch K frame .357 for less than a thousand bucks, when I actually do have the money? I figure I'm just S.O.L.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Yeah, the prices are nuts. I guess I'll have to take a long, hard look at the L frames. I already have a 6 inch 686, so I know I like the gun in general.

Do you know exactly how much bigger the L frame is than the K frame? I'd like to see an overlay type comparison.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Don't know if this will help or not, but here ya go.
    To me it looks like the only difference is a little bit of handle length

Smith%26Wesson-frame-sizes.jpg

Personally, I love my J-frame .38 .. it's not a smithy, though

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I have a 3" 686+ and love it. I use it for concealed carry matches mostly. Gun shoots and handles very well. I used to carry it sometimes when I wanted more fire power than my 642 .38, or my M&P9c. Good winter carry to penetrate clothing or glass when I commute through the 9th ward to work.

Top Bottom