30/06 as mid range hunter

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPS

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 25, 2014
    Port Vincent, Louisiana
    I've been wanting to get a .30 cal to shoot some distance with but didn't want to purchase a new gun. My dad has a remington 700 BDL in a 30/06 that is bone stock an around 20 years old probably hasn't had a box of bullets through it. I can get this pretty cheap an it seems the 30/06 caliber has a lot of hand loading options which I recently started doing.
    Would this be worth starting a decent long range setup my funds are limited right now but I would add to this as I go to get it like I want not wanting to reach 1,000 yards right now 500-600 would be nice though. What you guys think?

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I go round and round with a similar scenario myself. It can absolutely be done. I'd expect 300-400 to come with practice and 500-600 to come with work, patience and money.

NOLAShootist

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    NOLA / NorthShore
    You can easily get what youre looking for out of that round and the distances mentioned above.

Run some ladder tests and find what she likes to eat and go from there. Learning to read mirage, if you dont already know how to, isnt a bad idea if you are wanting to make ethical shots at those distances.

LPS

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 25, 2014
    Port Vincent, Louisiana
    That's what I thought just wanted to make sure I'm thinking of getting the stock glass bedded an trigger work for now with some quality optics. I've read up on ladder testing but have never heard of reading mirage I'll have to read up on that to. I was thinking of staying around 180g bullet would that be sufficient, should I go lighter or heavier?

NOLAShootist

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    NOLA / NorthShore
    Mirage is the visual you get when air and ground are different temps and the air interacts between the two. Basically, those little wavy lines you see rising up from the ground on hot days. When you look at them, you can tell which way the wind is blowing, and how fast.

If the 700 has a wood stock, you'd do better to ditch the old stock for something fiberglass, like a McMillan or Manners. Wood is very sensitive to external factors like humidity and swells and shrinks accordingly. At 100m, doesnt matter. Once you start stretching her legs though... every bit helps for accuracy.

As to projectile weight... every barrel is different. Play around with different powders, charge weights and projectiles. She might love a 180gr SMK and hate a 180gr AMAX. Never know until you try - which is part of the fun anyway.

Finding the best load is a lot of garage time, creativity and range time. Note I said "best" load and not "perfect" load. No such thing. :)

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    You've already got some good information here. Even with a 1:12 twist I would think you'd be good up to the 190gr range of bullets in a custom loaded .30-06 case. Just watch for stabilization issues when you get way out there (1100yds+). For a target round I would look at the 185gr Berger Juggernauts or the VLD Hunters in the same weight. With the longer throats on the Remingtons you might be better served with something that isn't as "jump sensitive" so be sure to try some of the SMK's for target and TSX for hunting as well. You should be able to push any of the above well out past 1000yds with a healthy dose of H4350 or Reloader 19.

LPS

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 25, 2014
    Port Vincent, Louisiana
    Thanks for the responses I'll check out the different stocks an also does anybody use the same load for target and hunting or is there just not that much difference in the way some bullets of the same weight fly? I would have thought every bullet would have been a lil different

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Thanks for the responses I'll check out the different stocks an also does anybody use the same load for target and hunting or is there just not that much difference in the way some bullets of the same weight fly? I would have thought every bullet would have been a lil different

Any bullet can put a hole in a piece of paper so for target shooting it's all about accuracy. For hunting, choose a bullet that will perform the way you need it to first, and shoots the best in YOUR rifle second. If you happen to find one that can do both well and have the money to just shoot that, then you just saved some load development.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    It should be a perfect mid to long range hunter. Rem 700's are great rifles out of the box. If you want to put some work in it, even better.
    You'll be pleased I'm sure.

I was half expecting to see a bunch of nitpicking over why a 9mm would be better than a .30-06.. (joking)

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    A little different opinion, shoot it before you do anything. Some of the older rifles can shoot quite well right out of the box, I like your original idea for glass bedding the rifle as I have had experience with some very accurate guns done this way. The wide variety of factory and hand load options make the 30-06 a very good round for almost any purpose.
    Keep a log book of loads and bullet lengths/weights and you will find the combination that will best suit your gun; not all rifles will shoot the same load accurately.
    I have had good results with the Sierra game king, and want to try the Norma Orynx, Hornady just came out with a new long range bullet that sounds promising. Have fun setting up your rifle.

Btw, the 30-06 has been used for almost every shooting purpose and has set and held records in virtually every rifle shooting competition worldwide.

Also, fwiw, spend some range time with the rifle as it sits today, be aware that the barrel will heat up and limit your testing to 3-5 shot groups and then let the rifle cool off. Shooting 500-600 yds will try the shooter more than the rifle, so spend some time getting acquainted with the gun and the round.

Last edited:

LPS

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 25, 2014
    Port Vincent, Louisiana
    Did you have good luck glass bedding a factory wood stock? Just asking because I have been reading saying the wood will swell and decompress with temp and humidity, I am thinking of getting a B&C medalist stock to put on it for right now. I would love the put it in a Mcmillan or Manners but they are just out of my price range at this time, I have read the reviews on the medalist and they all seem to be pretty good and I can get one for under $300 on Midway.
    And I understand about the 3-5 shots and let it cool for right now that's just what Im gonna do, in the meantime Im just gonna practice shooting my ar at 2-300 yards until I get this rifle done cause its cheap to shoot and that would give me a lil practice anyways. Also was thinking of going with the Vortex viper 4x16 to put on top of this rifle as I want to get a decent quality scope for starting out with this gun what would be yalls thoughts on that?

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    Sounds like a good scope choice, no prob there. Glass bedding can help a factory stock much the same as any other stock. Wood can swell and shrink with water exposure and humidity, however, to my experience it is not nearly as much of a problem as a poorly fit stock (for fit to a shooter) or an irregular fit for rifle action/barrel to wood.
    Walnut is used for stocks because it does not warp as easily as a soft wood like cypress ect...
    Free floating barrels are fine, as long as they remain free floating; contact to the stock can affect accuracy. I have seen bedded actions and barrels in wood stocks shoot exceptionally well, unless you saturate a stock it will do quite well.
    Shoot the rifle as is and evaluate your results, throw money at the problems as they arise. There are several gunsmiths on this forum who would sit down with you after you establish a baseline of shooting results and help guide you, talk to bigjakewelch or LouisianaGunny; they both seem like pleasant fellows.
    There are a lot of opinions in the shooting world and the above is a few of mine, Gospel? no, my opinion, yes. I would rather spend my money on what needs fixing.

And, I have an old Turkish Mauser in a stock of unknown origin that is glass bedded, despite a cut barrel and other butchery it will shoot a 100 yard cloverleaf with surplus ammo; I do believe in glass bedded wood stocks.

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I go round and round with a similar scenario myself. It can absolutely be done. I'd expect 300-400 to come with practice and 500-600 to come with work, patience and money.

When I was a teenager I regularly shot bowling pins with my .223 at 415 yards using cheap (at the time) Q3131. I think that rifle with a load it likes can EASILY work at 5-600 yards plus.

gunner_lee

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Pollock, La
    Also, mic'ing the rifle's chamber will help tailor the OAL that works best for that rifle. I set my bullet back .002-.005" from the lands so there is minimal jump. Uniform the primer pockets and debur the flash holes. Every little variable you can eliminate that will affect ignition and initial performance will help accuracy. Like stated before, ladder test various bullets and weights to determine what works with that barrel's harmonics. It's time consuming but addictive........

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tstevens42
    Top Bottom