300 Blackout

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Well I got looking real hard at one of these but seems like prices vary ALOT also gas systems seem to very alot. I am hoping someone on here owns one of these and can chime in. Is the 16 inch barrel carbine gas system reliable with subsunic and supersonic? Is it reliable both supressed and unsupressed ? Is the pistol gas system the nly truly reliable option for supressed subsonic? I've been digging alot around the net but 99% of what you find is dated speculation vs fact from owner. I'd apriciate any imput but really interested in the owner of such systems exp. Thank you

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Same stuff I read with I guess no concesus on owners of the platform that THIS Barrel lenght with THIS gas length shoots both subsonic and super sonic supressed and unsupressed without a hitch with factory ammo.. I'd like to build one but without knowing these things and the current price of barrels it could be an expensive trial and error which no doubt presents the current high prices from companies selling them.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    The answer is yes, but there are only 2 (Maybe 3) companies I would buy from.

AAC being #1 as they developed it and did a lot of high speed video to get the gas right
    2. Delta Company Arms - Aaron works closely with AAC and builds high quality stuff
    3. Noveske, same as #2

uscbigdawg

One of the lucky few...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Shooters Paradise = Mesa, AZ
    For barrels: Noveske and Delta Company Arms

Gas System: In general, the pistol length gas systems are for the guys that want to run suppressors and cut them down for SBR's. The carbine gas system (to me) is more versatile since you can run both supersonic and subsonic loads reliably.

Ammo: Buy some LC brass that's been half processed (biggest thing is remove the military primer crimp) and then get a Dillon 1200 case trimmer. Get the trim and neck forming die from CH4D and you can bang them out on a progressive press.

Bullets: In general, most folks shoot from the 110 V-Max's to the 175gr. SMK's. However, for the suppressed guys some are loading all the way up to a 247gr. gas check round.

Powder: Selection is really small right now, but most run 1680 and H110(?).

Versatility: It's not a great long range round. Wind characteristics are okay but it drops like a boulder!

Blackout vs. 7.62x40WT: Wilson Combat has their own round that is supposed to deliver more energy on target (and in turn fix the long range issues). The Blackout is 7.62x33, so it stands to reason that with 7mm more room for powder, you can go faster. My issue is proprietary silliness and you can't buy a WT barrel...yet (hopefully).

I'm going to playing with this round more and am looking at short trimming the brass and then forming to a 7.62x35-ish range. It will fire form out from there and likely will pick up a little more room in the case. Before this though, I'm going to play with more powders and see if where the velocities cap out at with decent bullets (i.e. medium BC's at medium velocities).

Rich

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I 'm wanting a 16 inch barrel or 14.5 inch that can run subsonic and supersonic surpessed and unsupressed reliable. I may look into reloading myself sooner or later but for now I have a friend who is very good at it that will reproduce factory loads. But what barrel legth with which gas system is the one that will do both reliably with factory loads? I keep trying to call Delta Company Arms but thier phone is busy.. They seem to be the most reasonably priced option I've seen yet.

HiCapMag

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La
    No personal experience to share yet, but from what I have read AAC designed the gas ports to make the gun run subsonic while suppressed, and supersonic unsuppressed. Presumably you could run supersonic suppressed and it should work but will be over gassed. As far as subsonic and unsuppressed, it aint made to work that way....and I don't know why anyone would want to run it like that.

Sorry if I am restating what you have read already.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Energy delivered to target is ballistic snake oil. There are a whole lot of other factors involved in lethality. Ask anyone who's hnted with arrows.

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    Never shot or heard on with a silencer on it but have been told they're really surprising how well they perform.
    Also, I believe Jefferson Gun has an AR upper as well as ammo for this caliber in stock if you want to check one out.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    No personal experience to share yet, but from what I have read AAC designed the gas ports to make the gun run subsonic while suppressed, and supersonic unsuppressed. Presumably you could run supersonic suppressed and it should work but will be over gassed. As far as subsonic and unsuppressed, it aint made to work that way....and I don't know why anyone would want to run it like that.

Sorry if I am restating what you have read already.
    Thank you. I'll do more research with AAC themselves. I could not justify in my mind paying that much for upper but if that is the case I might consider. And no I would not shoot subsonic unsupressed if fact I probably will never shoot unsupressed but I'd like the option to take off can at will and blow out rounds.

HiCapMag

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La

ngrani3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I work at Bowie Outfitters in Baton Rouge. Our store manager of the Natchez store has shot the AAC set up some (if I'm not mistaken). Give the store there a call and ask for John. The number is 601-304-1101. He is very knowledgable. Also I have one of the 16" uppers in stock in the Baton Rouge store. It has the AAC Blackout flash hider/suppressor adapter. Hopefully John can answer the questions you have about the different gas systems with subsonic and supersonic ammo with and without a suppressor.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Blackout vs. 7.62x40WT: Wilson Combat has their own round that is supposed to deliver more energy on target (and in turn fix the long range issues). The Blackout is 7.62x33, so it stands to reason that with 7mm more room for powder, you can go faster. My issue is proprietary silliness and you can't buy a WT barrel...yet (hopefully).

Rich

The 300BLK is 7.62x35

The AAC barrels work with any combination of velocity and suppression. I shot my 9" barrel with subs unsuppressed and it worked great.

Landry308

Class 3/SOT/Houma LA
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Houma
    The answer is yes, but there are only 2 (Maybe 3) companies I would buy from.

AAC being #1 as they developed it and did a lot of high speed video to get the gas right
    2. Delta Company Arms - Aaron works closely with AAC and builds high quality stuff
    3. Noveske, same as #2

I agree exactly.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I know I know may not have been too smart but I called loki and have been wanting bad to try one of thier forged uppers. After about 45 minutes of discussing the ins and outs of them ashuring me thier patrol upper will run 100% in 300 blackout within my needs and they have a rifle currently on loan to a major ammuntion manufacter and say it is running for him perfectly I parted with some money. I hope I don't regret it. I'm sending them my BCG today. I empisized how important reliability was and they wanted all the components for upper so they can make sure it's nothing less when I recieve it. I'm real exited and really thing they will do a great job but admitedly as a after thought am alittle nervous. upper specs 16 inch barrel 14.5 inch free float handguard and 4 9 inch rails. It will look cool.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    carbine length with adjustable gas block with 4 settings. I like my fal system so really looking forward to it

rsilvers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    ammosmall.jpg

Top Bottom