.308 Ballistics

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I have looked and cannot find Ballistics at different ranges out of different length barrels. Can someone help me here, trying to see at what range will a round still fragment out of my AR-10 16" also curious out of my 26" Savage.

Thanks

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I have looked and cannot find Ballistics at different ranges out of different length barrels. Can someone help me here, trying to see at what range will a round still fragment out of my AR-10 16" also curious out of my 26" Savage.

Thanks

You're better off chrono'ing the rounds out of your particular gun and THEN plugging that into a ballistic program to see at which point it will fall below the satisfactory velocity. You also mention fragment.....fragment after hitting what? Everything will depend on your projectile, weight, velocity, and environmental factors to determine an effective distance.

A google search will find you plenty of free ballistic programs online and a little research and/or manufactures websites should give you effective speeds for a given projectile.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    150 Corlokts, I would assume all of the velocity's etc... listed on Remingtons site isn't out of a 16" barrel. I am only looking for ball park figures. I would like to know about it fragmenting/mushrooming when it hits flesh. Not sure if it really matters from deer, to hog, to zombie etc... Assuming all environmental issues are at ambient conditions.

Thanks

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    150 Corlokts, I would assume all of the velocity's etc... listed on Remingtons site isn't out of a 16" barrel. I am only looking for ball park figures. I would like to know about it fragmenting when it hits flesh. Not sure if it really matters from deer, to hog, to zombie etc... Assuming all environmental issues are at ambient conditions.

Thanks

150 Cor-lokts out of my 26" 700vs are running around 2700-2750 fps. measured at 10' from the muzzle. I don't think you have to worry about hunting ammo fragmenting much since it's designed to retain it's weight when impacting soft targets. If you're looking for a given effective distance then (depending on your target) you should be fine out to about 600yds with that round.

Your best bet is to ask someone if they have chrono'd velocities out of a 16" barrel with that particular manufacture of ammo and then plug those numbers into a ballistic program to see how far out you should be good to stay above 1100 fps.

With 150gr rounds I would say that you're limited to 600yds out of either rifle with the Savage maybe being able to push it out to 800yds. Unless you're shooting steel you don't have to worry about fragmentation.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge

Thanks

What ammo are you planning to shoot ?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    On average for a 30 cal rifle, you drop 50 fps for each inch of barrel you remove. There are some good ballistics programs out there that will compute this for you. Unfortunately, I only have the shareware version of 'Remington Shoot'.

Screaming Eagle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Heel of the Boot
    You can also go to the Remington site and download RemShoot. It's only got Remington's round loads on it but I've found it to be pretty accurate when checked against other programs as well as in the field. Gives you a nice little plotted trajectory and everything. You're welcome.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    150 CoreLokts

You've got the wrong ammo if you are looking for fragmentation.

From Remington Website: "The Core-Lokt bullet design is the original controlled-expansion bullet – and one of the most effective ever developed. Its progressively tapered copper jacket is locked to a solid lead core, promoting perfectly controlled expansion and high weight retention for absolutely dependable on-game results."

High weight retention and fragmentation are essentially mutually exclusive as they pertain to terminal ballistics.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    You've got the wrong ammo if you are looking for fragmentation.

From Remington Website: "The Core-Lokt bullet design is the original controlled-expansion bullet – and one of the most effective ever developed. Its progressively tapered copper jacket is locked to a solid lead core, promoting perfectly controlled expansion and high weight retention for absolutely dependable on-game results."

High weight retention and fragmentation are essentially mutually exclusive as they pertain to terminal ballistics.

I was wondering if I was the only person catching that.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    try Handgun Magazine ballistics charts...just type it in a search engine. I don't know what all it will help you with. Hope this will be of some benefit.

Top Bottom