.308 hunting bullet of choice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimmy76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    I've started reloading my .308 with 175 SMK's and Varget with great results but need a good bullet for deer hunting. I've used Partitions in a 300 WM before and had good kills but any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
    Jim

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I shoot the 175smk's in my match round with 43.3gr of Varget. To hunt with I shoot the 165gr Barnes TSX with 44gr of Varget and out to 300yds the two loads have ZERO point of impact shift from either of my bolt .308's. The Barnes will actually hold a slightly tighter group and I've often seen 1/4" 5 shot groups at 100yards with it.

The triple shock does an excellent job of making deer DRT within those distances as well!
    1stdeer2010.jpg

165BarnesTSXunshotvsmushroom.jpg

Jimmy76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    Great man thanks. The expanded bullet didn't look like it lost much weight. I've read some on those bullets and was interested in those.
    Jim

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    Barnes triple shock X. I have used 130, 140, and 150 grain in my 308. 130's at an honest 3000 fps make a mess out the insides. I quit using them because of so much blood shot meat. Went to the 140's and they worked great, but it got to hard to find them so I went to the 150's and have never looked back. One thing about the X bullets is that they don't leave a huge exit hole in the off side skin, but when you look inside the tissue damage is large. They only way I have ever stopped them was to shoot a deer lengthwise, and then I find the bullets trapped under the off side skin. If they do move from the point of impact, there is always a good blood trail to follow. I have killed two hogs, one behind the other with these bullets. I shot two cyotes the same way with a 150 Balistic tip that blew up in the first and did not stop the second. I have also had failures with the Remington Corelock.

I think if you just find a really premium bullet that you like and that shoots well out of your rifle you will be fine. I look at it this way, I spend a small fortune in feed, fuel, and all the other things hunting. My bullet is the only contact I have with that live deer to turn him into my freezer meat, if they cost $2.00 each that is still the cheapest part of the deal.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom