308 Issues

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    My son assembled a 308 using the DPMS standard parts from different manufacturers (LR-308). It has failure to feed after the first round. It has an 18" barrel, mid-length gas, adjustable gas block, rifle buffer tube, 5.4oz rifle buffer and rifle length spring. When charging with the charging handle, it fires fine, cartridge ejects at about 2:00-3:00, and it feeds the next round, but the trigger won't function and it feels like it is not going into battery. Forward assist doesn't do anything as the BCG does not have the ridges on it. Pulling back the charging handle ejects the bullet and feeds another one, and the cycle repeats. We tried adjusting the gas and tried a 3.5oz carbine buffer, but it didn't change. When loading only one round, the bolt locks back on an empty mag, so I'm sure it has enough gas. I am thinking it needs a stronger spring?

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Kinda weird the trigger is reseting and locking bolt on empty mag… sounds kinda like a tight chamber issue or maybe off spec chamber.. if you drop a live round in or charge a live round in chamber, does it drop out freely or come out easily with charging handle?

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Check to make sure that the roll pin that holds the extractor in place on the bolt is properly seated below flush. It can interact negatively with the barrerl extension and cause the bolt to not shut fully. I have seen this twice. both times on a 308 ar.

Frisco

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2022
    Louisiana
    Not sure what magazines he's using but I've had similar issues with both of my AR 308's. I switched from Pmag's to Lancer, now they run flawlessly .

new_bayu_shooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 7, 2021
    New Orleans, LA
    Try the easiest thing first, a different brand magazine. I purchased a AR-10 that would fail to feed and jam up after the first round. Switched to PMAGS and it worked flawless.

Top Bottom