308 vs 6.5 creedmoor for hunting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Goatman

Gone hunting or fishing!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2012
    Bossier City, Louisiana
    I have a new place to hunt and longest shot is 600 yards. I have done some reading and see they said 6.5 was better with range and all. I'm not worried about barrel life.

What do yall think for a hunting rifle?

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Either is adequate for energy. The 6.5Creedmoor has less drop and less wind drift. Ammo will be not quite as available as 308 but I would just buy more than I needed when I found it and that would be a non issue. If it were me I'd go Creedmoor all day.

jphilp87

Glock
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Ascension
    I mostly hunt with 30-06 or 308... because of the historical availability of ammunition. I reload now, so I am going to be getting a 6.5 creedmoor very soon! If you reload, I say go for it. If not, ammo is still a bit hard to come by for the 6.5. It's definitely getting better though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

HogHunter1203

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    SWLA
    I see 6.5 creedmoor ammo in just about every sporting goods or firearms store I frequent. Its gotten pretty mainstream. Ditto what Barney said. Better BC with lighter .264 bullets. And slightly less recoil. Have a gas gun and bolt gun that shoot 6.5 creedmoor. Both have killed deer, hogs, and prairie dogs with ease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I like them both. .308 will have the most power and available ammo. Inside 600 there is little difference between 7mm-08 and 6.5 Creedmoor while you are considering calibers. Actually the 7mm-08 has near identical ballistics but has the edge on energy (and gives more efficient powder burn out of shorter barrels). I think 7mm-08 it is one of the best all around Hunting cartridges inside 600 for sure.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Goatman

Gone hunting or fishing!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2012
    Bossier City, Louisiana
    Guy at Bass Pro here in Bossier said they hadn't had any creedmoor rounds in 3 yrs and I go to a ammo site and they have plenty. I just can't find the gun here in the caliber I want.

Top Bottom