.338 Bolt action build?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ajt2341

Rock out w/ ur glock out!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    Ok, AR-15's I've built, easy enough being as familiar as I am with the M-16. Started with lower receiver and built up from there. Now I would like to build a .338 Lapua bolt action rifle resembling the M24. I have no clue where to start with the bolt action rifle. I've found a few resources for builds through google but they all seem to start with a base rifle and replace/rebuild parts. Any help anyone can give on just a starting point for the build would be great. Thanks for the help.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    How much are you willing to spend ? There are several ways you can go. I know a great gunsmith who can have your gun ready in a month. I know another who can have you gun ready in a year. Both are national champions. 1 has set several world records.
    Do you want to start with a Remington 700 or Sako action. Or you can go with a custom action like a BAT, Stiller, or Nesika Bay.

Art

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    mmmmmmmm..........Surgeon:bowdown:

I'm planning to do the same thing this coming year. I just got back a gun build from a local smith(probably one of the guys Art is talking about) and have decided to let him do the smith work for me on a Surgeon action. Like Art said, you need to decide on how much you're going to spend. You can pick up a brand new Remington 700 MLR .338LM for around $1100 or a brand new Accuracy International AWM for $6000. A good smith can put you together a .338LM based on a regular 700 action, or you can go custom and get something with tighter tolerance's.

There are a lot of guys who have both custom and factory .338lm's on snipershide.com. You can find a lot of information searching around on there. Just remember the correlation between opinions and assholes! haha

ajt2341

Rock out w/ ur glock out!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    Thanks a lot guys. Guess I'm going to hit up a few shops, find a smith locally and see where to go from there. My price range would be towards the lower end so I'll settle for someone local.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Par7485
    Top Bottom