.338 Bolt action build?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ajt2341

Rock out w/ ur glock out!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    Ok, AR-15's I've built, easy enough being as familiar as I am with the M-16. Started with lower receiver and built up from there. Now I would like to build a .338 Lapua bolt action rifle resembling the M24. I have no clue where to start with the bolt action rifle. I've found a few resources for builds through google but they all seem to start with a base rifle and replace/rebuild parts. Any help anyone can give on just a starting point for the build would be great. Thanks for the help.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    How much are you willing to spend ? There are several ways you can go. I know a great gunsmith who can have your gun ready in a month. I know another who can have you gun ready in a year. Both are national champions. 1 has set several world records.
    Do you want to start with a Remington 700 or Sako action. Or you can go with a custom action like a BAT, Stiller, or Nesika Bay.

Art

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    mmmmmmmm..........Surgeon:bowdown:

I'm planning to do the same thing this coming year. I just got back a gun build from a local smith(probably one of the guys Art is talking about) and have decided to let him do the smith work for me on a Surgeon action. Like Art said, you need to decide on how much you're going to spend. You can pick up a brand new Remington 700 MLR .338LM for around $1100 or a brand new Accuracy International AWM for $6000. A good smith can put you together a .338LM based on a regular 700 action, or you can go custom and get something with tighter tolerance's.

There are a lot of guys who have both custom and factory .338lm's on snipershide.com. You can find a lot of information searching around on there. Just remember the correlation between opinions and assholes! haha

ajt2341

Rock out w/ ur glock out!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    Thanks a lot guys. Guess I'm going to hit up a few shops, find a smith locally and see where to go from there. My price range would be towards the lower end so I'll settle for someone local.

Top Bottom