toughest .45 cal? anything boom proof?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slacker

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Red Stick
    i've got alotta questionable reloaded .45, i.e. i didn't reload and don't know the guy who did. long story, i'd love to shoot it. what's the toughest .45 out there, something that can take some abuse in case i come across a round that's a little overstuffed?

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    I shoot .45 super and 450 SMC in my Glocks. bit tougher brass but should handle anything unless very over loaded.

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    I would not call it boom proof but if the platform is also built for the .44mag, that is a pretty good indicator of strength...i.e. Ruger Vaquero (original vaquero not the new one)

Revolvers built for the .454 Casull would be as close to boom proof and your hands could handle.

captain-03

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2009
    Central Mississippi
    Questionable? Your eyes and hands deserve more respect .... Unknown loads do not shoot them .. sell em or give em away for component value ... Just want you to stay safe!!

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Yep.
    That being said, I've read (for whatever that is worth) that the Ruger .45 was designed to be a 10mm, then just rebarreled to .45. That would make it a bit tougher. Ugly, heavy as a brick, but still tougher...

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Buy a bullet puller, pull the bullets, save the powder to make a bomb or something since you probably don't know what it is, and reload the other components. Or you can get a glock, load a round, turn your head, and squeeze the trigger. If the primer isn't bulging out, then do this a few more times. If everything still looks normal, shoot the rest.

Last edited:

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    To me, Rugers are the Sherman tanks of firearms. But never shoot any unknown load in anything lest the rear of the gun flies backwards as fast as the bullet flies forward.

LouisianaRebel

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    yonder
    Yep.
    That being said, I've read (for whatever that is worth) that the Ruger .45 was designed to be a 10mm, then just rebarreled to .45. That would make it a bit tougher. Ugly, heavy as a brick, but still tougher...

I've heard the same about my Smith and Wesson 4506
    mygun.jpg

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I have a .45 ACP cylinder for my Freedom Arms 454. For a pistol, it is probably the strongest one you will find. I still wouldn't shoot someone else's handloads. If I didn't load it, and it didn't come from a manufacturer (with an insurance policy), it does not go into my gun.

Dan

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom