Alternate night time carry gun?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Typically,I carry a J frame and have been for years,at least for as long as I've had my carry permit (10 years). Lately I've been contemplating different carry guns and of all the guns I own,I always go back to the J frame. Just recently I picked up this used Ruger P345 and was pleasantly surprised with it's performance. It's DA/SA with a 4.2"bbl and decocker safety. IMO almost a perfect carry gun for the evening. Heavier trigger pull and very slim and lightweight. I've always wanted to carry a .45 but was a little skeptical of the 1911 as a concealed carry piece. During the day I carry a J,specially when it's warm. At night I'm gonna try carrying this Ruger and see how comfortable it really is.

attachment.php

Last edited:

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    The only ones that do hang around are my Jframes and a few assorted Smith and Ruger revos. Everything else pretty much comes and goes. Although,I've had that XD9 for a while now and still enjoying it.......oh no,I just mentioned the XD...now it's gonna be marked! That's how it all starts,you see.

pulpsmack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Red Stick
    If you keep coming back to the J-frame, then my advice is to invest in a set of CTGs and you have a perfect J-frame package for day or night.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Cojo eventhough you know I'm a die hard fan of my XD's and I carry my XD45 wherever I go, I needed something smaller for the warm days of the summer on the .45ACP platform, Ive had the xd9sc and xd40sc and they are just not for me, I picked up this a few days ago and Im experimenting with it now so far she has taken the place of my xd45 for CC, eventhough she is by no means a traditional 1911 it gives you the feel of one and to me it tackles the "problem" of "coked and locked" on a traditional 1911. Takes a little while to understand the LDA trigger since you have to learn to stage it but once you do OMG the trigger pull is like 1 pound, and even fully loaded is a charm to carry no weight at all.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I generally alternate between a 1911 and a J frame clone. You shouldn't have issues carrying that Ruger provided you have the right gear.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    LaserMax now has an internal unit for the (nitesite equipped) GLOCK 30; that should give the ultimate concealable nocturnal CC piece.
    A big GLOCK 21 magazine would give plenty backup ammo.
    leVieux

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    IMO the use of any laser devise should be only used for training purpose or when injured and in need to do weak hand shooting or behind a barricade in akward positions, otherwise you might as well paint yourself orange and give yourself in. I know a lot of people think of the intimidation factor after watching too much tv but you violating a basic firearm rule do not point/draw at anything you are not looking forward to destroy. Lasers are great great accesories but should never replace sight control specially since it's battery operated unlike night sights. I don't see a point on relying on a device with a high rate of failure.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    IMO the use of any laser devise should be only used for training purpose or when injured and in need to do weak hand shooting or behind a barricade in akward positions, otherwise you might as well paint yourself orange and give yourself in. I know a lot of people think of the intimidation factor after watching too much tv but you violating a basic firearm rule do not point/draw at anything you are not looking forward to destroy. Lasers are great great accesories but should never replace sight control specially since it's battery operated unlike night sights. I don't see a point on relying on a device with a high rate of failure.

I imagine that a large majority of confrontations where you might be required to use a handgun will happen very quickly and are not likely to involve cover. Your attacker will know where you are as they are looking for prey. In those cases, putting rounds on target is way more important.

That being said, I don't like lasers as they are just something else to fail when you need it. The money would be better spend on practice.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I agree with you somehow but remember in the urban enviroment we live in one to one confrontation are mostlikely not going to happen any more, BG's have gotten smarter as well and they understand there is an advantage in numbers that being said it is highly likely that you will have to engage multiple targets in a worst case scenario of a jam or malfunction you will be required to seek cover clear and engage if you want to stay alive, that is the reasson why I strongly advice to anybody who CC to practice stress situations on the run since a stationary target is NEVER going to happen in real life.

pulpsmack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Red Stick

That makes little to no sense to me. as someone below this quote pointed out, the odds are that if the weapon clears the leather, everybody involved knows good and well where all the parties involved are situated (usually inside of 15' of each other). In the wild fantasy that things will go down like the Pacino/De Niro chase scene, who in the world would be playing lightsaber and whoshing the laser around. Align sights at target, squeeze laser, confirm target, bang.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    That makes little to no sense to me. as someone below this quote pointed out, the odds are that if the weapon clears the leather, everybody involved knows good and well where all the parties involved are situated (usually inside of 15' of each other). In the wild fantasy that things will go down like the Pacino/De Niro chase scene, who in the world would be playing lightsaber and whoshing the laser around. Align sights at target, squeeze laser, confirm target, bang.

That is basically what I said buddy, I said a laser is great for training or for akward situations otherwise FRONT SIGHT on target and squeeze there is NO NEED to align sights, people WHO KNOW how to shoot emphasise on training with front sight only for the average NINJA COWBOY there is a need to align DOTS.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans

The LaserMax in my GLOCK 21 was installed in 1995 and has never failed. It has been carried by my Son, a Lafayette cop, for the last six years
    BTW, it still has the original 1995 batteries, too.
    LaserMax is completely contained within the weapon and can't easily be seen. It is operator controlled, so that you don't have to turn it on if you don't want to, unlike the pressure-activated units.
    I feel the same way you do about the rail-mount flashlight accessories for handguns.
    leVieux

Top Bottom