From the why would you file....... *UPDATED post #15

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    Well I got a old High Standard Sentinel bought it for 50.00 bucks sight unseen (It was part of a 2-part deal, the other was a straight up trade). I thought I was stealing it to tell you the truth, was told it needed a cleaning and a rear sight. I was thinking "man how bad can it be", I love a challenge. Well picked up the HS and Lo and behold the rear sight is definately missing, and from the bottom of the dovetail clean thru the aluminum top strap is a nasty crack. I was like damn guess I got the short end of part two, but I have another Sentinal so I figurered I'd keep it for spare parts.
    Well got it home and got to looking at it and man this is a nasty crack so I figured lets see if it will shoot I got some 22 shorts and a piece of 4 x 4 and commence to put two in the block. I know risky move, some wouldn't try, but I did oh well. It fired fine, now I'm thinking how can I fix this crack? Thought about trying to get it welded, but I know it is really tough to weld cast aluminum,...... so whats cheap and strong,....easy to work with,.....J.B. Weld! Wait a minute, it may not be strong enough to really hold this on it's own.....lets make a piece of aluminum that perfectly fits in the dovetail backed up buy JB weld above and below, better cut a couple extra grooves on either side of the crack and make the crack itself into a V shape. Wait a minute slow down boy, you must be crazy what kind of hairbrained idea is this? Pictures of Wiley Coyote flash through my head, but what have I got to lose..............:cool:

DSC03888.jpg

DSC03890.jpg

DSC03889.jpg

I know, I know it looks a little rough, but hey It looks better now trust me. We will have to see how long it lasts, I should have taken pics in process but I was working...not thinking. The Sentinal is a 5 digit serial number in the first year of production that dates her to 1955 we will see if I can sneak a few more years out of her. Comments are encouraged.:eek3::eek3:

Last edited:

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Well I got a old High Standard Sentinel bought it for 50.00 bucks sight unseen (It was part of a 2-part deal, the other was a straight up trade). I thought I was stealing it to tell you the truth, was told it needed a cleaning and a rear sight. I was thinking "man how bad can it be", I love a challenge. Well picked up the HS and Lo and behold the rear sight is definately missing, and from the bottom of the dovetail clean thru the aluminum top strap is a nasty crack. I was like damn guess I got the short end of part two, but I have another Sentinal so I figurered I'd keep it for spare parts.
    Well got it home and got to looking at it and man this is a nasty crack so I figured lets see if it will shoot I got some 22 shorts and a piece of 4 x 4 and commence to put two in the block. I know risky move, some wouldn't try, but I did oh well. It fired fine, now I'm thinking how can I fix this crack? Thought about trying to get it welded, but I know it is really tough to weld cast aluminum,...... so whats cheap and strong,....easy to work with,.....J.B. Weld! Wait a minute, it may not be strong enough to really hold this on it's own.....lets make a piece of aluminum that perfectly fits in the dovetail backed up buy JB weld above and below, better cut a couple extra grooves on either side of the crack and make the crack itself into a V shape. Wait a minute slow down boy, you must be crazy what kind of hairbrained idea is this? Pictures of Wiley Coyote flash through my head, but what have I got to lose..............:cool:

A finger? Not bad

slacker

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Red Stick
    take it to a boat repair guy, those dudes can weld aluminum like nobodies business. jb weld is only stable to 600 degrees and has NO impact resistance or tensile strength, i just spent some time dremeling some out of a repair the other day.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    You definelty FKIN crazy my brother but I know you put that brain to work A LOT, I say you should have welded it IMO specially being on the top side so it dont blow up crap to your face/eyes. Just dont forget to wear safety glasses AND a face shield when you shoot it LOL.

BY the way did I show you my new toy I TRADED for the MINI????????????????????

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    C'mon, this is a joke, right?
    Please tell me you aren't really gonna fix a structural failure on a firearm with JB Weld.:eek: :run:
    :crazy:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    MyTFAL,
    I know a guy on the westbank that would be my first choice to fix it. He is the best I know on specialty welding. I have seen some of his fixes on motorcycle parts and outboards.
    If you want to use him, let me know I'll look him up.
    Later,
    RDO

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    Come on now its a .22 revolver for gods sake, the cylinder is intact and and made of steel, and timing is good. I'm not all that worried. How many guns have been built w/o a top strap? Nobody ever built a Zip gun back in the day? I built one out of a car antenna and a couple blocks of wood!

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I didnt say the idea wasnt goood ma brother, I was just looking at a long term fix, I have fired things before in backyard riggups as well plenty of times you would be amazed what wood/ductape and rope will do, heck if McGiver could fix a helicopter with ductape i dont see why you cant use it for other things.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    I'm just kidding around, I'm not really worried, if it doesn't hold i'll try something else, but what doesn't show is the piece of aluminum that I custom fit into the dove tail:)

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    *UPDATE* Lasted 18 Rds then self disassembled(like NOLAcop had done it hisself...), no animals were injured. It is now officially spare parts. We now return you to your regularly scheduled program....

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    *UPDATE* Lasted 18 Rds then self disassembled(like NOLAcop had done it hisself...), no animals were injured. It is now officially spare parts. We now return you to your regularly scheduled program....

:eek:
    Wait, you actually held that thing in your hand and squeezed the boom lever 18 times?!?!?!?
    :run: :crazy:!
    :D:D:D

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    Wow you're dumb as sh!t. You shot it.

Dave

Please, scared of your shadow too? Sky falling? As long as the STEEL cylinder holds the rounds there is virtually zero chance of catastrophic falure, especially with a round with as little case pressure as a .22 long rifle. The top strap "repair" failed, the bullet fired, no big deal.

Top Bottom