357 wadcutter loads

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sffone

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2019
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I would like to load some 138 grn wadcutters in 357 brass but I have been unable to find reloading data for that particular combination. I would appreciate any information you folks might have about load data for 357 wadcutters. Thanks.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    Page 269 of the handbook referenced above notes the test were conducted with a 4" barrel that had 1-18 3/4" twist . Groove diameter was .356"

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Loads for 38spl +p with a similar bullet style will work just fine in a 357 case. Honestly, you can go even lighter if you don't want to follow the manual to the letter, with the faster powders like TG, N320, Unique, and Bullseye. My silhouette load for a 125g plated bullet is 5.0g Titegroup.

Using wadcutters, I assume you are looking for lighter target loads.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Be as cautious with light loads as you would be with heavy loads.

Some powders do not react well with lighter than published loads and will detonate, instead of burning.

I've never witnessed it, but every manual cautions against it.

In particular, H110 / W296 comes to mind.

If you want light loads I would suggest using Trailboss.

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    If you run them too hot, you will get excessive leading. If you are casting the bullets yourself and make them harder, you can drive them faster. I wouldn't load any hollow base wadcutters in anything hotter than a midrange target load. Since the bullet is cast, it probably has a flat base. Most hollow base wad cutters are swaged, and the lead is really soft. Are you sure they are 138 grain, and not 148 grain? What advantage are you hoping to gain by using .357 brass as opposed to .38 special brass?

Last edited:

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    I have plenty of data for cast 148 gr. WC ...
    138 gr. WC's are a bit of an oddball .
    To get the ball rolling you can safely load the 138 gr WC with 148 gr. data ... the velocities will be a few feet per second lower but similar as the bullets are only 10 grains lighter in weight .
    I have data : 357 Magnum - 148 gr. cast WC (solid base)
    with Unique , HP-38 , 231 , Red Dot and Bullseye .

Let me know if you want the data and with which powder and I will be glad to post it . The data is tested .
    It is from the RCBS Cast Bullet Manual #1 .

Gary

sffone

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2019
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Gary, I would very much like the data for Unique and 231. Thank you!
    If you run them too hot, you will get excessive leading. If you are casting the bullets yourself and make them harder, you can drive them faster. I wouldn't load any hollow base wadcutters in anything hotter than a midrange target load. Since the bullet is cast, it probably has a flat base. Most hollow base wad cutters are swaged, and the lead is really soft. Are you sure they are 138 grain, and not 148 grain? What advantage are you hoping to gain by using .357 brass as opposed to .38 special brass?
    The coated 138 grain wadcutters were purchased from Bayou Bullets. I'm using .357 brass instead of .38 special brass because I have .357 brass and I'm set up to reload .357. Because I shoot quite a bit (800 rounds a week) I prefer not to have to do a lot of reconfiguring of my loading setup.

sffone

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2019
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Try Alliant Powders website for Unique load data. Totally unrelated but where do you shoot?
    Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.
    I shoot at FRC in Baton Rouge on South Choctaw. It's an outstanding indoor range -- state of the art with a dedicated pistol range and a rifle range. Being retired, I'm able to shoot at times when there is no problem getting a lane.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston

The coated 138 grain wadcutters...
    A well respected Cast Bullet Mold Maker that publishes hand books has a load for a .357 Magnum 141gr (Linotype) Wadcutter # using Unique. 1.435" OAL

Starting load of 5.8 gr for 960 fps
    Max load of 7.9 gr for 1289 fps

Apparently I violated BS rules by publishing pics of the handbook yesterday. Hope this post helps.

lyman.JPG

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.

The coated 138 grain wadcutters were purchased from Bayou Bullets. I'm using .357 brass instead of .38 special brass because I have .357 brass and I'm set up to reload .357. Because I shoot quite a bit (800 rounds a week) I prefer not to have to do a lot of reconfiguring of my loading setup.
    Makes a lot of sense. Good Luck. The coated bullets from Bayou Bullets are first class!! You should get excellent accuracy with no leading. I used to load my .38 special wadcutters with 3.2 of WW 231, but that was using .38 special cases.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    ... Being retired, I'm able to shoot at times when there is no problem getting a lane.
    Being retired, have you considered casting your own bullets? It is not that difficult or expensive to get into, but it does eat up some time. I have cast my own for years now and love it.

My profile pic is of some of my own HB Wadcutters dropped from one of my MP Molds.

wadcutters.jpg

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    Being retired, have you considered casting your own bullets? It is not that difficult or expensive to get into, but it does eat up some time. I have cast my own for years now and love it.

My profile pic is of some of my own HB Wadcutters dropped from one of my MP Molds.

View attachment 159715
    Those are purty ! I remember one fellow I know that loaded some HBWC with the bullet reversed to be used as self defense ammo. The soft lead and large hollow cavity in the front caused them to expand really well.

Top Bottom