W.t.s.h.t.f

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I don't think we will see Mad Max "TEOTWAWKI" stuff - but Katrina made me realize it is VERY possible to see civilization take a break for a couple weeks.

No fuel, no power, no food in stores, possibly no clean water (the water system being contaminated due to pressure drops supposedly happened a couple places in Katrina, and I was at a city council meeting in Gretna right after Katrina where they said they came within a couple PSI of contamination)... all possible for a few days, a couple weeks depending on the event that causes it to occur.

Beyond that, short of nukes, nah. People don't want to live in that world. Humans are organizers/builders/social ceatures. We are used to comfort. Once we get past the problem, we will do everything possible to go back to our air conditioned, relaity TV lives...

Amen brother,, Who wants to miss Dancing with The Stars?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    How about water contamination due to oil being washed in?

Yes, I think we could have widespread rioting possible if the economy melts down.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Nuke/Pandemic only real possibilities. Nobody is going to target Louisiana with a Nuke that is for sure. And a nuclear holocaust is in no ones best interest. So our biggest problem as a nation is going to continue to be eating ourselves to death. So unless a zombie virus surfaces that utilizes type II diabetics as its breeding ground we are in good shape figuratively. And honestly if a bunch of morbidly obese zombies hit the streets all you have to do is strap on your Nikes and blare eye of the tiger on your ipod and you will have no problem out running them.

Last edited:

blackened1313

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    slidell
    Nuke/Pandemic only real possibilities. Nobody is going to target Louisiana with a Nuke that is for sure. And a nuclear holocaust is in no ones best interest. So our biggest problem as a nation is going to continue to be eating ourselves to death. So unless a zombie virus surfaces that utilizes type II diabetics as its breeding ground we are in good shape figuratively. And honestly if a bunch of morbidly obese zombies hit the streets all you have to do it is strap on your Nikes and blare eye of the tiger on your ipod and you will have no problem out running them.

Not necessarily man. It is one of the biggest ports in the US. But you are right nothing desireable in La except Barksdale Air base. Most probably Port of Orleans will be the easiest point of entry for something to be shipped through (dirty bomb etc.)

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    One of the US oil strategic reserves is located in Hackberry. So yes; there IS a possible nuclear attack for Louisiana.

Never mind the 2 nuclear power plants we have on the Ms River...

Last edited:

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Dont forget we also have 2/3 of the natural gas lines criss crossing in Louisiana.. We have the port as mentioned, but we also have a live and live mentality here , and that coupled with the more and more liberal mentality and the fact that it is becoming taboo to question peoples actions we are sitting ducks..

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    No, I do not. However....

As far as whether or not LA would be a potential target for nukes, I'm sorry to say that yeah, we would. Declassified Soviet-era documents said we would.

Take a good look around. We have the 2nd largest refinery in the US right here in BR. We have the southern-most major interstate bridge crossing on the Mississippi River- the largest river system running right through the heart of all that petrochemical industry. And then- there are the shipyards....

A nuclear attack on the industrial corridor of LA would be a strategic priority- make no mistake.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    How about St Louis or Minneapolis for a dirty bomb. That would contaminate the water supplies of everything south of there along the MS river... No, neither are major cities but they have plenty enough people to draw attention, plus they're not as heavily monitored as NYC or DC. Our reactions probably wouldn't be as quick either.

Security at a nuclear plant is tighter than many easier targets, though not nearly tight enough. There are plenty of industrial targets that would do just as much damage. Some of you work at the chemical plants, some on the rigs. Imagine an attack on one of those now. How good is security there?

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    What about a war on our land? That's what I think about when I think of SHTF. Either China invading the US, or Mexicans trying to take back their land, that we took from them, that they took from the Indian's. I think most Americans have gotten complaisant, and do not believe IT can ever happen.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    True even though the russians where suggesting just that....http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100513/ts_ynews/ynews_ts2052

The pansy-ass Ruskies are late as usual. Somebody beat them to it. :D

April 30th, 2010, 01:01 PM #16
    oleheat
    Professional Amateur

Gold Member

At this point, the only logical solution to this problem is to use nukes. The resulting flash-fire would quickly burn off the oil- and probably aid in carterizing the actual source of the leak itself.

No, no please; no need to cheer- or even thank me. I have always believed that if you have an idea that is beneficial to everyone, why keep it to yourself?

.....And through it all, I remained modest.:)

slacker

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Red Stick
    actually

Nuke/Pandemic only real possibilities. Nobody is going to target Louisiana with a Nuke that is for sure. And a nuclear holocaust is in no ones best interest. So our biggest problem as a nation is going to continue to be eating ourselves to death. So unless a zombie virus surfaces that utilizes type II diabetics as its breeding ground we are in good shape figuratively. And honestly if a bunch of morbidly obese zombies hit the streets all you have to do is strap on your Nikes and blare eye of the tiger on your ipod and you will have no problem out running them.

back in the 80's we were in the top 10, reportedly as high as number 5, port of b.r., port of n.o., something like 35% of the natural gas in the nation goes up the miss/la border, exxon's carbon black monopoly, dow, back in the 60's all the the tetraethyl lead was made here etc. i think that there are still alot of little niche products that put us very high on the list, add barksdale to that also.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    We have a big Exxon plant here in BR along with several others, which makes us a target. Maybe not for terrorists who are more interested in killing people, but in a war against an organized military, destroying BR would be very damaging economically.

Barring WWIII, I think the growing population, globally and nationally, will eventually correct itself in a very unpleasant way. There's only so much room and resources for people.

Nukes come in different sizes. We don't have to detonate a Tsar down there.

Last edited:

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    back in the 80's we were in the top 10, reportedly as high as number 5, port of b.r., port of n.o., something like 35% of the natural gas in the nation goes up the miss/la border, exxon's carbon black monopoly, dow, back in the 60's all the the tetraethyl lead was made here etc. i think that there are still alot of little niche products that put us very high on the list, add barksdale to that also.

Sometimes I try to justify living in Louisiana and one of my justifications is being off the radar.... wrong again :doh:

Well it is good to know we matter in a nuclear target sort of way. :eek3:

Top Bottom