Questions about Poplarville tomorrow?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    All,

Wanted to ask some questions about tomorrow's match at Poplarville. I'm interested in showing up to see what its all about.

1. Are there separate handgun and rifle matches? What is the cost of each or the cost if only 1 combined match?

2. How long will all the matches take? I see arrival is 8:00 AM. How long are the matches generally. Is it a faux pas to leave early?

3. If I was interested in trying to shoot, what would I need for tomorrow? 1 Rifle, 1 hangun, how much ammo, and how many magazines? Anything else?

4. What kind of holster is required for the handgun (Glock 30)? I only have IWB and do not believe that is allowed.

Last edited:

buzzworm

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Picayune Ms.
    All,

Wanted to ask some questions about tomorrow's match at Poplarville. I'm interested in showing up to see what its all about.

1. Are there separate handgun and rifle matches? What is the cost of each or the cost if only 1 combined match?

(USPSA handgun match is tommorow. Cost is 13.00/members, 18.00/non members. Second gun is no additional cost. Second gun this month is concealed carry type match.)

2. How long will all the matches take? I see arrival is 8:00 AM. How long are the matches generally. Is it a faux pas to leave early?

(Match should start around 9:00ish, after a safety briefing. Handgun should be over by 1:30-2:00 depending on stages and reset time. If you shoot both, figure on being there till after 3:00 prob. around 4:00 No faux pas to leave early, but help tearing down stages is appreciated. (all the props for this match have to be hauled in, set up, and hauled out that day))

3. If I was interested in trying to shoot, what would I need for tomorrow? 1 Rifle, 1 hangun, how much ammo, and how many magazines? Anything else?

(Handgun, 150 rds ammo, enough mags to shoot 30-40 rds/stage, way to carry mags, holster with trigger guard covered, LOTS of water, sun screen, LOTS of water, good attitude, LOTS of water.)

4. What kind of holster is required for the handgun (Glock 30)? I only have IWB and do not believe that is allowed.

(I don't believe that will work. If you can get a cheap nylon that will hold it, and cover the trigger guard, you should be OK. There may be someone there (or on this site) that could loan you one for the match. I'll try to bring a couple, not sure if the G30 will fit.?

If you have never shot a USPSA match before, I would suggest you go to USPSA.org to check out what we do, read over the rules, especially the safety rules. Try to get there early and let someone know it is your first time, and we'll try to pair you up with someone that can help you through it.)

Thanks for your interest, and hope to see you there.
    BW

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Afaik uspsa rule book does not prohibit iwb holsters. They're certainly not idea but not illegal. Go to any gun store and buy a cheapo kydex or nylon holster and that should do you.

buzzworm

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Picayune Ms.
    Could you answer question 1,2, and 3? Thanks.

Look at my first post behind each ?, inside the ( ). Should be what you need. Please let me know if not.

As far as rifle, we have changed this year's schedule, and the website doesn't reflect that yet. (Webmaster's spending too much time in China and Australia:D)

Hope to see ya there. :)

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Look at my first post behind each ?, inside the ( ). Should be what you need. Please let me know if not.

As far as rifle, we have changed this year's schedule, and the website doesn't reflect that yet. (Webmaster's spending too much time in China and Australia:D)

Hope to see ya there. :)

Ok, so there is no rifle shooting tomorrow?

buzzworm

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Picayune Ms.
    I don't believe uspsa sanctioned matches can add rules without nroi approval.

I agree it's not ideal, it's just not illegal.

This is a local match, on private land, and ANY match held there has to meet the safety rules of the club, USPSA or not. To do otherwise is a surefire way to get a USPSA match kicked off of a shooting range. Any, by the way, a local, sanctioned match can add rules, alter some things and use non official targets not normally used in a level II or higher match. This was decided by USPSA a while back, and was in Front Sight not long ago.

Back to the original questions. Please feel free to ask if you have any questions. Several of us will be there early to set up. Just come over and say Hi!. We'll be glad to help.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    buzzwornm--

No rifle tomorrow, right?

If second gun is concealed carry, what is required? Shirt or vest covering? Does it need to be a tuckable shirt, or just something so that gun and magazines are not visible?

Is the 150 rounds just for the first pistol match, or is that for the concealed carry as well?

With normal capacity mags (8 rounds), I will need 5 mags? This is obviously a competitive disadvantage, but okay for fun/experience?

One person runs at a time, so that I could share mags with my son?

Thanks.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Afaik uspsa rule book does not prohibit iwb holsters.

Correct. Under 5.2.7, if a holster adequately covers the trigger guard and does not point the muzzle further than 3 feet from the competitors feet, it is good to go.

Only shoulder holsters or thigh holster are specifically prohibited, though even they might be permitted for LEO or military if considered duty gear, but only for Level I matches.

But the RM is the ultimate arbiter (under 5.2.6, 5.2.8) of what is considered safe at a particular match.

Now we all know more than we ever wanted to know about the subject :rofl:

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    This is a local match, on private land, and ANY match held there has to meet the safety rules of the club, USPSA or not. To do otherwise is a surefire way to get a USPSA match kicked off of a shooting range. Any, by the way, a local, sanctioned match can add rules, alter some things and use non official targets not normally used in a level II or higher match.

Sorry to add to the drift, but this is an important point.

Actually, this has been under heavy discussion recently on the Brian Enos forum, including many senior members of the NROI, regarding certain safety rules at certain ranges which are at variance from USPSA rules in requiring DQ for actions which are permissable under USPSA rules.

Basically, if USPSA rules are not followed, and the local club has not received a waiver from NROI, then it can not be an officially "sanctioned" match, which isn't of great significance until you get to Level II and above matches.

Thread drift off...back to your regularly scheduled programming. ;)

Last edited:

buzzworm

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Picayune Ms.
    buzzwornm--

No rifle tomorrow, right?

If second gun is concealed carry, what is required? Shirt or vest covering? Does it need to be a tuckable shirt, or just something so that gun and magazines are not visible?

Is the 150 rounds just for the first pistol match, or is that for the concealed carry as well?

With normal capacity mags (8 rounds), I will need 5 mags? This is obviously a competitive disadvantage, but okay for fun/experience?

One person runs at a time, so that I could share mags with my son?

Thanks.

Second gun is concealed carry, what ever that means. I have been told that no over garment is needed.

Our handgun matches use 120-150 rds of ammo, so bring 150 to be safe. We will prob. shoot less because of the heat, ie shorter stages. Not sure how much ammo for the second match.

Swapping mags/equipoment is fine. Just let the RO know and he'll alter the shooting order to work out.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Y'all have fun...buzzworm, I checked the distance to your match as I drove back from Steel City last month...would be 210+ miles each way for me :wtc:

Still hope to make one sometime.
    You need to make the night shoot
    It'll be like shooting in the cave, with out the walls:rofl:

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    BW, what's the chance of a rainout? I don't know which direction it's heading but there is a monsoon in Gonzales right now.

Top Bottom