Norinco MAK90 vs Yugo underfolder

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbadjones

Rating - 96.7%
    119   4   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Natchitoches
    I have an opportunity to trade for either one. Which one would you guys go with and why?

BTW, the MAK has the standard furniture and not the thumbhole stock which I know alot of people are opposed to. Thanks for ya'lls input!

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    I hate to disagree with bambam, but in my opinion the Norinco is a better rifle. It may not take a flash hider or be cool like a underfolder but they are overbuilt on a 1.5 mm flat and well put together. I have marginal faith in anything Century built. Good reading here. http://www.ak47world.com/rifles.html

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I respect bam's opinion but I would probably take the Norinco because the Yugo's are a lot easier to come by. I guess I would have to see the condition of both. And a MAK90 without the thumbhole stock is more rare.

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    I hate to disagree with bambam, but in my opinion the Norinco is a better rifle. It may not take a flash hider or be cool like a underfolder but they are overbuilt on a 1.5 mm flat and well put together. I have marginal faith in anything Century built. Good reading here. http://www.ak47world.com/rifles.html
    yugos are built with a 1.5 mm reciever also.And parts and accesaries are cheaper.
    I respect bam's opinion but I would probably take the Norinco because the Yugo's are a lot easier to come by. I guess I would have to see the condition of both. And a MAK90 without the thumbhole stock is more rare.
    All mak-90s came with the sportster stock so its really just a common Mak-90.And you have to make sure it has its 5 compliance parts because it has had the sportster stock removed and the evil pistol grip put on.Some PPl say that a Mak-90 is the second most illegally converted gun that is imported the first one is the SKS.that is the two main reasons I would stick with the Yugo.

jessopher

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    covington
    Well I would put them about equal just depending on what configuration you prefer. The yugo m70 is an overbuilt ak, the DCI rpk style receiver is very sturdy and the barrel is thick and the overall feel of the gun is heavy. The underfolder stock though is loose feeling and hard to get a comfortable cheek weld on. I think the mak90 would be a more comfortable shooter but I would not say it is more overbuilt than the m70.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    MAK...

They are what the 'AK reliability' here in the states was founded upon, are RARELY not well made, and are a hell of a rifle.

Yugo...

I dislike underfolders
    Build quality varries
    May have an issue with aftermarket parts.
    I HATE that 'topcover button' (Although you can take it out.

TO Keep:
    MAK

To sell:
    Yugo (It'll go for more)

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    To back up Bam I had a Century Yugo underfolder. No complaints. It was tight, shot well, and reasonably accurate. The 1.5mm reciever and parts avalaibility are a plus. I wish I hadn't sold it. After 100 or so rounds the metal stock did leave bruises on my shoulder.

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    No chance in hell I would go Yugo over a Norinco (can thread the barrel)...

BTW check the bore of the yugo, you will probably see it is shot to ****!

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I like my MAK90s:

IMG_0040.jpg

mine2.jpg

Unfortunately, getting them in check for 922(r) compliance was not exactly fun. I replaced the trigger group, pistol grip and gas piston for the top one and I replaced the trigger group, furniture, and gas piston for the bottom one.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    yugos are built with a 1.5 mm reciever also.And parts and accesaries are cheaper.
    All mak-90s came with the sportster stock so its really just a common Mak-90.And you have to make sure it has its 5 compliance parts because it has had the sportster stock removed and the evil pistol grip put on.Some PPl say that a Mak-90 is the second most illegally converted gun that is imported the first one is the SKS.that is the two main reasons I would stick with the Yugo.

That's what I thought but I did a Google search and thought I saw some. Modified AK of 1990 (no evil features). Everything you ever wanted to know about the MAK line up.

http://home.comcast.net/~jfreeman16/page_2.htm

+1 on illegally converted SKS rifles. I have seen several where just the mag was replaced with a 30rd foreign job. There are a lot of parts on an SKS that need to be replaced. Just buy an AK if that's what you want. Leave the SKS alone.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Probably not if its a century build.They rebarrel the Yugos with new us made barrels.(Non chrome lined just like the original ones)

Is that true for ones built several years ago or just since they've run out of kits with imported barrels? Are the new US barrels marked anywhere?

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    Is that true for ones built several years ago or just since they've run out of kits with imported barrels? Are the new US barrels marked anywhere?
    I dont know if they are marked or not but its common for them to use US barrels as a compliance part.Probably real cheap when you buy hundreds at a time.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    Even though the Yugo's may have a 1.5mm rec also I'd still pick the Mak unless bambam or Will built the Yugo, then I would have to really think about it. I have talked with some folks a hell of alot smarter than me and they say the Maks are about the closest you can get to a true old school soviet AK47.

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    Even though the Yugo's may have a 1.5mm rec also I'd still pick the Mak unless bambam or Will built the Yugo, then I would have to really think about it. I have talked with some folks a hell of alot smarter than me and they say the Maks are about the closest you can get to a true old school soviet AK47.

They must have said that before the Saigas were produced.LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jgwick
    Top Bottom