Anyone know this story??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Found this picture in my daily motivational poster email today.

I was wondering if anyone knows the story behind the picture? Never mind the caption, but it's kinda fitting. Looks to me like it got smacked with a hammer instead of some sort of explosive malfunction...Probably why the forums aren't filled with "xdm sucks" threads...

Anyone know about this?

634052391826138455-kB.jpg

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    http://bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29419

They were shooting reloads and they believe that the gun fired out of battery.
    Guy on our squad at Rio Salado from the Dillon Precision crew. Super cool guy, had a blast all weekend. Then the last stage of the entire weekend. this happened. Best we can tell it fired out of battery. He is OK.

Springfield replaced the firearm. All he had to do was pay $40 shipping and handling.

:)

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Damn plastic guns.

It has also happened to 1911's, I remember reading a post on another forum where a guy had a PT1911 and after it fire out of battery, he claims it pushed the magazine out like a jet and it craked his plastic grips.

Most of the time it happens with bad reloads though.

I will try to find it so I can add a link.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    I was kidding. I don't have anything against plastic guns. I just happen to prefer metal ones.

What causes a gun to fire out of battery like this? How is it possible for the hammer to strike the firing pin when the slide isn't closed? Or am I misunderstanding what is going on here?

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I was kidding. I don't have anything against plastic guns. I just happen to prefer metal ones.

What causes a gun to fire out of battery like this? How is it possible for the hammer to strike the firing pin when the slide isn't closed? Or am I misunderstanding what is going on here?

No you actually have the basics of it, a round that is not seated properly inside of the barrel, a disconector that disengages the hammer or fire pin and the pressure inside the casing will seek for the path of least resistant which most of the time its side ways instead of pushing the bullet out and heaving the slide not properly closed as well will make her cycle back just like she was feeding a new round due to pressure.

Its almost the perfect case for the worst case scenario.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    I'm just having trouble seeing this happen with a gun that has an external hammer. It would seem that if the slide is not all the way closed the hammer could not possibly strike the firing pin. Then again, I've never tried to make this happen or anything so I don't speak from any actual experience.

Top Bottom