.40 case separation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    OK I have been reloading a 200gr. TC bullet with 3.9gr of WST at 1.165OAL for years. This load has given me a very consistent 170PF. Lately I have been getting case separations. Trying to get new eyes on this problem. Any suggestions? This is happening in SS and hicap STI's.

sandy1

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    B.R., La.
    .40 case seperation

Are you using something like this to resize?

Redding G-RX Carbide Base Sizing Die Kit 40 S&W

Last edited:

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    Pics of the case seperations would help all of us to help you. Otherwise, we all be blind and of no help to you what so ever. New cases used for your loads or cases that have been reloaded many times? A whole lot of factors come into play and more info is needed from you to help diagnose the issue!

Last edited:

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Same lot of WST? Did this happen only when cold or hot temps too? I've heard (no personal experience) that WST is reverse temp sensitive. If not powder related, it's got to have something to do with the batch of cases you are using. I know your firearms are top quality.

Like flyboy said, pics would help with figuring this out.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Hey Barb,
    Brandon and I were having that issue for awhile and we attributed it to picking up range brass. We threw away all the brass we had and started over with once fired. And then only picked up our brass or just got more once fired brass. After we did this we didn’t have any more issues. Hope this helps.

Bryan

bryanbag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    Ms. B
    I pretty much did what Mr. Bryan did.
    When I first started loading 40, case were is short supply for me and once I hit about 3 to 4 reloads I was getting cracked case.
    I was able to pick up a couple thousand once fired case from some local indoor ranges to build my supply up. Now that I have about 1.5 5gal bucks full of once fired, it's much easier to count how many time it was reloaded.
    Haven't had an issue since, Once in a blue moon I will find a cracked case even with once fired.

Top Bottom