.40 S&W loading preferences?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WB5QBK

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Caddo Parish
    I plan to start loading .40 S&W in the next week or so. Do you have any powder preferences for cast bullets? I plan to cast and load 175 grain bullets sized 0.401" unless I find a source that has another weight. At this time I am leaning toward Titegroup as I have a new cannister on the shelf.

I will fire this ammunition in a Glock 22 with BarSto barrel.

also: Dmiculek mentioned a lee U die. I have not seen this cataloged, but I have not been looking for one. Who has this die and what is the advantage of it over using the Lee factory crimp die in the final station of my Dillon 550B?

Thanks,
    Chuck

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    I use Unique or VV N320 to make major in my limited gun. Never tried Titegroup in a major cal load. N320 gave the most consistent velocities. N320 is a great powder but $$. Unique was not nearly as consistent. These are with self cast 170 gr swc's. Ultimately you'll need to experiment with what works best in your gun (bbl)

The Lee "U" die is available from Evolution Gun Work's. It sizes the case down slightly smaller than a standard die and this removes the "Glock Bulge" from 40 cal. cases. I have never had a loaded round fail to chamber since I started to use the "U" die. I also use it .38 Super.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    I use Titegroup in my .40 loads. Very nice accuracy. However I only load plated/jacketed bullets, (Hk's polygonal rifled barrel and lead bullets are a no-no), so I can't help you with any actual loads.

WB5QBK

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Caddo Parish
    Thanks for the help. I ordered the .40SW and .38SPL undersize dies last night. I want to stay away from Unique and Clays in this cartridge due to past history of inconsistent powder drops in the Dillon. The Dillon powder funnel and case feed parts arrived Saturday so now I need to start casting!

The cleanliness of E3 has me interested.

Thanks!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom