The Law regarding buying/selling anything

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I'm posting this here because it is a legal issue, but feel free to move it to the Marketplace, or make it a sticky, or whatever.

I recently had someone get "pissy" when I sold something to someone and not to him, even though he had not agreed to buy the item. I teach Business Law, and I think that a synopsis of the laws in this regard may help people out.

To have a legally binding contract there must be an "agreement", which consists of an offer, and an acceptance.

An advertisement is generally NOT considered to be an offer to sell. It is considered to be an invitation for offers. If an item is listed with a price, "I'll take it" does not generally constitute a binding contract for sale.

There are many reasons for this, including the fact that it could be sold somewhere else. Likewise, if an ad was considered an offer to sell, then multiple people could "accept" that offer. Thus, the ad is considered an invitation for offers, and when someone says "I'll take it", that is actually the offer to buy, which legally may or may not be accepted by the seller.

BUT, I would say that if someone says "I'll take it", with no conditional terms, it is bad form and possibly poor ethics, to not attempt to sell the item to this person. Because of this, let's just assume for our purposes that the advertisment is an offer to sell and the seller should sell the item to the first person who "accepts" the offer to sell

The problem comes in primarily with what are considered "conditional acceptances". The following are examples of conditional acceptances, which are not really acceptances:

"I'll take it if you will ship it to Timbuktu for the same price",
    "I'll take it for $X", when $X is less than the listing price.
    "I'll take it if you take PayPal" or food stamps or anything other than cash money.
    "I'll meet you and I'll take it if I like it".

These types of "conditional acceptances" are not legally acceptances at all. They are mere negotiations and discussions, or at best counter offers that may or may not be accepted by the seller.

In summary:

Legally, a person cannot respond to an ad and create a binding contract. The seller has to accept the offer to buy.

Ethically, a seller should accept the first unconditional offer to buy at the listed price for cash money.

A seller is not even ethically or morally bound to sell to someone who attempts to change the terms of the advertisement, or who makes any conditions whatsoever.

Tib

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Walker, LA
    Great info Lou, thanks. Does this mean that the seller is legally bound to sell to someone who accepts the sellers terms if their offer is the only one?

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    I vigorously applaud your post. It's not been so much here, but I've had some whack jobs try to tell ME how to run my FS adds. Just because **** is for sale does not mean it's yours!

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    Excellent post. The posters in your add did get pissy with you pretty quick because you did not respond as quickly as "they" wanted.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    A seller is not even ethically or morally bound to sell to someone who attempts to change the terms of the advertisement, or who makes any conditions whatsoever.

Should be chiseled in stone on EVERY gun website on the planet imo.

Just need to highlight the wording "any" conditions.

Thanks for posting.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Great info Lou, thanks. Does this mean that the seller is legally bound to sell to someone who accepts the sellers terms if their offer is the only one?

No, the seller is not legally bound to sell. Ethically and morally, yes, but legally the seller's ad is not an offer which can be accepted. The ad is an invitation for offers.

I know this sounds odd, but think about a newspaper ad where you list a car for sale, and someone buys it from you. What happens if the next day someone calls and says "I accept"? This illustrates that an ad is not in fact an offer to sell which can be accepted. It is an invitation for you offer to buy it, either at the full price, or lower price, or with any other conditions. The seller is then free to accept or decline your offer.

While this is the general rule, there are exceptions. If an ad is specific enough, such as when retailers say "super deal: $300! Only 5 available at this price!". This is considered to be specific enough and the language is such to make a legal offer, which can be accepted.

Again, as a matter of ethics, I think a seller SHOULD sell to the first person that says "I'll take it", but generally he is not legally obligated to do so.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    I agree, if someone says "I'll take it" it means that they've agreed to your terms for the sale. If someone says "I'll take it if..." then that is a caveat and must be agreed upon by both parties for the sales to take place. If someone flat out says "I'll take it" then they have agrees to your terms for the sale, and the sale should follow suit.

Top Bottom