.45acp making a comeback

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Glock has been able to persuade about 7 large Agencies to "purchase" the .45 GAP pistol with very little cash after trading the Agencies previously used pistols.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    "An underlying problem we had here was some officers just couldn't handle the .40 caliber recoil, which is significant. Our qualification scores often reflected the inability to handle that recoil."

I hope he's talking about the female officers...
    And I don't know how switching to 45 would fix this. There's not that much difference in KE between the .40 and 45. The 45 should have more momentum in most cases though.

Last edited:

rooster

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    I get laughed at when I go to family gatherings. My brother will only touch a 45 and likes to make fun of my .40. He put them side by side and says "now what would you pick?" I just shake my head and not my .40 back with the other 13.

BobKaro

Yellow Boxes? Sweet!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Youngsville, LA
    "An underlying problem we had here was some officers just couldn't handle the .40 caliber recoil, which is significant. Our qualification scores often reflected the inability to handle that recoil."

I hope he's talking about the female officers...
    And I don't know how switching to 45 would fix this. There's not that much difference in KE between the .40 and 45. The 45 should have more momentum in most cases though.

To me, they feel different. The .45 doesn't feel as sharp as the .40, Especially in the plastic guns. My Hi-power in .40 is pretty soft shooting though.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I own several .45s and .40s, and I have to say that I have never considered the .45 to to have a "lighter" recoil than the .40....JMHO. I dunno, maybe it's me.:confused:
    If you want to talk "snappy", I'd also have to say the .357 SIG tops the .40 hands down.

Who am I bull$hitting- I like em all!

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    I'd also have to say the .357 SIG tops the .40 hands down.
    The 357 SIG may have them all beat. Statistically,the 357 MAG does, and the 357 SIG is it's very close cousin. That, coupled with the feeding reliability of the 357 SIG, puts it near or at the top of the pile. The Texas DPS dropped the 45 partially on account of feeding problems and now carries the 357 SIG, partially on account of having to deal with auto windshields. I get some feedback locally about barrel problems with the forty. Illinois State Police fave up on the forty caliber Glock. Why and for what I don/t know, but apparently there were issues.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    The issues were not related to the cartridge.

Illinois State Police dumped the G22 for the same reason Indiana State Police did, and the same reason that BRPD is dumping their Generation 3 G22s for Generation 4s.

There are other agencies doing this as well. But you can't talk about it, see... because everybody knows that Glock is Perfection.

i am assuming you are referring to the rail flex issue?

It was my understanding that the Gen 4 may have not fixed that?

Any ideas...not a Glock expert.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    +1. IMO the .45 has a very different feel.

The HK .40's have a recoil buffer that helps but I'm still substantially faster with the 9mm than the .40.

I gave the .40 another honest try, but I still prefer the 9 and 45.

i actually agree with Pangris on this one.

Like many, i find the fwaty to be very snappy....due mostly to the fact that most manufacturers cram a more powerful round in a frame designed for 9mm.

I feel the 40 is an inadequate compromise between the capacity of a 9mm and the "power" of a 45.

I prefer a higher capacity following the more holes is better than bigger holes for dropping blood pressure philosophy, but I carry two 45's due to current available option s to me right now most of the time.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Yup.

And as for the Gen 4 not "fixing" it... I know of at least one instance of it happening on a Gen 4; in front of a Glock rep.

OTOH, EBRSO has almost 200 Gen 4 G22s in service now, almost all of them wearing InSight M3s, and they have not had the first burp, according to one of their FTU guys who is a friend of mine.

So... :confused:

there will always be anomolies, and of course other variables like grip, ammo, condition of gun, etc..you know the drill.

All said though, Glocks out the box are good to go. Not a fanof the 40, so do not have any experience with this particular problem, but I have had lights hanginf on my other glocks and Xd's for years...no problems yet.

9mm and 45 of course. ;)

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    You guys have brought up really good points, I am a firm believer on my 45ACP's and ts my choice for CC switching between my 1911's, XD45 Service or Para Carry LDA 3" all of them on 45 ACP, my rnd of choice for "competition" is a .40S&W due to being able to get more power than a 9mm but also keeping a good amount of capacity in my mags.

It definetly has more felt recoil IMO than when I shoot my 45's even when doing weak hand shooting, but I dont think its a bad round overall.

You guys have more experience than me though and have access to data that we dont.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Uncle Gaston needs to go ahead and settle this $hit by coming out with the Generation 5 Glock 40..... in .50 AE.....:cool:

I'm thinking that would call for a few minor "modifications"....:)

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    What does rail flex do?

Rail (or more accurately, frame) flex is an inherent aspect of the Glock when it is fired. I am not an expert on the subject, but from what I've heard/read, it has to do with the design being based around loose tolerances in the slide/guide rod/frame lockups, requiring a certain amount of flex for the weapon to cycle.

The problem they're talking about is in terms of the G22, which is known to fail when a weapon light is attached. Some say it's only certain lights, other swear it comes from locking them down too tight. The problem is that it prevents the frame from flexing in the appropriate manner, and IIRC, locks the slide back after each round fired? Not 100% on the effects, just know that it causes malfunctions.

On a side note, I own a G22 and have never had a weapon light on it. While I have been tempted to test my TLR3 (from what I hear, one of the worst culprits in the vast array of weaponlights on the market), I haven't really had the cause or drive to do so.

The reason is that I carry an M&P .45 these days, to get back to the original topic. I was a huge fan of the .40 prior to the introduction by Springfield, Glock and Smith of their polymer, high(er) capacity .45s. I love the cartridge, but was never a fan of the combat pistols that fired it. At least not in terms of CC. 10 rounds, or more, was high enough for me, and I was sold on the idea of a new pistol. Couldn't be happier with my decision, especially after a little bit of trigger work.

Top Bottom